Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple TV1 work without HDMI connected?

I use my Apple TV (first generation) as an audio player, feeding the optical out to a DA converter and using the Remote app on my iPhone to control playback.

The Apple TV used to be connected via HDMI to my flatscreen too, but I rarely used it (the screen was often in stand-by mode and this worked fine)

I have moved my TV to a different room, so the only difference in the configuration is that the Apple TV1 is no longer connected to a screen using HDMI.

Now, when I select a track on the Remote app to be played, it looks like a moment it's gonna play (on the iPhone screen in the Remote app) but then quickly jumps back. Everything else works as expected - the Apple TV shows up in iTunes, I can sync it, and I can select the Apple TV as a speaker output in iTunes and get audio from it. So the only thing that does not work is play audio content that's stored on the Apple TV internal drive.

As a test, I connected the Apple TV to my flatscreen again (using HDMI) and then audio playback worked fine again.

So, it looks like it needs to be connected to a HDMI screen in other to work properly, even if I only want to use it as a standalone audio player.

Is this true? Or is there something I can try to have my Apple TV work standalone again, without a HDMI connection?

Thx for any help on this!

Ivo

Apple TV, first generation

Posted on May 27, 2015 5:14 AM

2 replies

May 27, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks Rudegar.

But just to be sure: does your setup also work when the HDMI cable is disconnected from the Apple TV? Maybe you could check this?

I used my Apple TV exactly as you describe (connected to both a AD converter/receiver using optical, and to a TV using HDMI) but it has stopped working properly from the moment it was no longer connected through HDMI.

Thx for your help!

Does Apple TV1 work without HDMI connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.