Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac(late 2012) Overheating

Hi all,

My iMac late 2012 has been overheating for a while now i use it for mostly Photoshop, Illustrator and CS:GO. After careful reading online to see what the issue could be i decided to get both Avast and smc fan control to outline the problem. No viruses or any other complications , however i noticed that the fan would increase from 1400 to 2000 rpm but the temperature would display at 0 yet the middle of the screen would be hot with occasional slowing and freezing.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Fusion drive

Posted on May 27, 2015 4:28 AM

10 replies

May 28, 2015 7:40 AM in response to arcaniko

You should not use things like SMC Fan Control to change the behaviors of the fans. If the computer is actually overheating (in which case it would shut down unexpectedly once going above a certain temperature), the issue is a hardware problem needing repair, and trying to address it by fiddling with the fan behavior may result in damage to your hardware. If it's not actually overheating, just let the fans operate as designed.

May 29, 2015 3:52 AM in response to arcaniko

If you think there may be a hardware problem, contact Apple. They can examine the machine and figure out where the problem is.

The question is, is the lagging happening because the machine is hot (which could mean there's a hardware problem), or is the machine getting hot because of whatever is causing the lagging? If something is really hammering the processor when the machine starts to get hot and lag, that may be causing both problems.

May 29, 2015 7:05 AM in response to Andrew_Debbie

There is a very small amount of malware but zero viruses. The malware can be EASILY avoided by using common sense, meaning:

Never download from a torrent.

if you get a pop-up, ad, e-mail or phone call advising your system has been compromised those are scams.

Keep OS X up to date

If users follow those simple rules and do not install worthless antivirus, cleaning and othe OS X maintenance apps their machines will normally run fine for years!

May 29, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Andrew_Debbie

Andrew_Debbie wrote:

A few examples:

Every single one of those examples are no longer active, as they have been blocked by Apple's anti-malware protection in Mac OS X. They can all be considered extinct at this point. There is currently no known malware capable of infecting an up-to-date Mac OS X system. Malware that is unknown may or may not exist, and there isn't a tool out there at this time that can protect you against such unknown malware.

Malware definitely is not involved in any way with the problem being described by arcaniko. There could be involvement of adware, but without mention of any adware-related symptoms, there's no reason to go there at this point.

iMac(late 2012) Overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.