Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2007 iMac won't boot

Sometime yesterday my iMac suddenly locked up. I had to hold down the power button to shut it down. When I rebooted, the boot-up was very slow, and when my desktop appeared I got a message saying "activateSettings quit unexpectedly." I had to force another shutdown. This happened two or three times. I attempted a disk repair. The verification step reported a disk problem. I tried to repair and got a message saying the disk could not be repaired, and suggesting I reformat.

Before I wipe the hard drive I want to make sure this is my only option. Is it worth taking it into an Apple Store? Would they have recovery tools that I don't have? I'm in IT but I'm more literate in Windows than in Mac, so any suggestions are appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 4 GB RAM

Posted on May 27, 2015 5:15 AM

8 replies

May 27, 2015 6:08 AM in response to jjkatz

An Apple Store likely won't work on it because it is considered too old. Locate an AASP in your area and ask, if you don't know any please click AASP Locator to begin finding one. Prices will vary by location, so you need to call and ask. Be specific when asking, say something like., "I have a 2007 24" iMac with a failed HD. How much will it cost to install a 1TB HD or a 500GB Samsung SSD?"

May 28, 2015 7:21 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Just to close this thread:

I was able to reformat the drive and boot the computer. I was even able to access the App Store and restore my applications. I was in the process of restoring my data (overnight) when that failed. The computer lost its Internet connection even though I was using Ethernet. I rebooted and it was unable to detect my keyboard. I rebooted again and it found the keyboard but everything else was painfully slow.

I wondered if it could be the internal fan since the computer felt unusually warm, but even in that case it's a part I'd have to pay someone to replace and I'm not even positive that's it. I tried running the Apple Hardware Test but wasn't able to get that to execute.

Decision made to buy a new computer, wipe the hard disk on this one and put it up on Ebay for parts/tinkering.

Thanks everyone who offered suggestions. I did try them all.

Mid-2007 iMac won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.