Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Align numbers in a list in Pages 5.5

What I want to be able to do is when using a number list I want to be able to hang the numbers (as in have all the numbers align with their decimal point) especially for number lists with numbers of 2 digits and above to that it looks neat and tidy.

For example:

1. Hey there
  2. Try again
  3. Not now
  4. What?
  5. No!
  6. Huh?
  7. No freeking way!
  8. Dude seriously!
  9. You’re kidding right!?
  10. Okay, Okay

But I can find a way to make this possible, as in Pages the 1 of 10. is aligned with the 9 thus pushing the 10. over so that it is closer to Okay and makes the list look wonky and untidy as in my example below

User uploaded file

Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 8gb ram

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:06 AM

2 replies

May 27, 2015 1:58 PM in response to tomljaggo

You can set that up manually by typing a tab at the beginning of the paragraph and set two tabs on the ruler. The first a right hand tab to catch the number, the Second for the beginning of the text.

If the lists are multiple lines, set up a hanging indent for the list and make it a paragraph style.

This is somewhat easier but not 100% easier in Pages '09.

Peter

May 27, 2015 9:03 AM in response to tomljaggo

Pages v5 simply is not smart enough to align a numeric list. In the screen grab below, the first 9 items have a number indent of 0.25 in, and a text indent of 0.25 in. For two digit list numbers, I tweaked the number indent to 0.17 in and the text indent bumped to 0.33 in. Faux alignment.

The second list is a two column table. The first column is right-aligned, and has a custom data format of ##. defined in the cell tab. You can tweak the row height for visual need.

User uploaded file

Align numbers in a list in Pages 5.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.