Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Messages app won't open

I really don't know why, but every time I try to open the messages app, it immediately force-quits. I have tried to the obvious; closing the app, turning on and off the phone, resetting the phone, and even hard resetting the phone. I even tried factory resetting the phone! I have tried to enter the messages app via the contacts app, facetime app, and phone app by clicking the little message bubble next to a contact's name. And still, nothing. I even tried to delete all text messages from the phone using my computer, (which i really, really didn't want to do). I really don't have time to go to the apple store, and I am going on a trip in a couple days and i need to be able to text my family about places to meet up, restaurants to go to, etc.. Somebody, please help!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:47 AM

7 replies

May 27, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Smithster126

So there is a work around for this at the moment. What you want to do is from the photo application send a picture (it can be blank) to the contact that sent yo the message that says power. This should resolve it. If not you may have to do a back up and restore from a backup before you received the message.

Thanks Neikab92 for a solution!

Jun 27, 2015 1:03 PM in response to Smithster126

Hi - I finally found an easy fix. The phone had a bunch of group chats, but since I couldn't open the message app, I couldn't find the POWER text that corrupted it, so couldn't reply or get sender to send a new text. Instead, I found this fix and it worked great. Once Siri reads the problem message, just reply with any message and the message app will start working again.

Of course, I found this fix AFTER I had wasted an hour doing a complete restore of the phone, which, per Smithster126's note, doesn't work unless you restore from a back-up made before you received the problem text. Oh well, phone's really cleaned up now!

The steps are:

1.) Ask Siri to “read unread messages.”

2.) Use Siri to reply to the malicious message. After you reply, you’ll be able to open Messages again.

3.) In Messages, swipe left to delete the entire thread. Or tap and hold the malicious message, tap More, and delete the message from the thread.

iPhone 6 Messages app won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.