Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers keeps freezing when making changes

I am not completely new to Apple products, but I am rather new to the MacBooks. I recently got a MacBook Air for Christmas last year and haven't used it a ton. I am starting to input some of my side business information into Numbers to keep track of sales, costs, profit, etc. I have created a spreadsheet and it does include some calculations. The other day I was messing around with it trying to make it more detailed, I wanted to add comments to a few of the cells to be able to explain those sales a little more in depth.

Once I inserted the comment box, Numbers froze (rainbow spinning wheel), I closed the program. Reopened it and tried again and the same thing happened. I didn't think much of it and figured I would just wait a few days and try again. I tried again this morning and the same thing happened.

If anyone has experienced this problem or if anyone knows what steps I need to take to correct the problem any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love and need to be able to do so, so that I don't lost any of the information, data, and calculations that I have already entered. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from anyone with help.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:41 AM

7 replies

May 27, 2015 12:11 PM in response to UCS6186

have you restarted the computer?

I suggest opening the application "Activiy Monitor". this is located in the folder /Applications/Utilities

look at the memory and note the information in the middle panel at the bottom:

User uploaded file

Also of interest is the "Memory Pressure". Is it green? If not I would consider restarting your computer. then run Activity Monitor and watch the memory usage. Then start Numbers and other applications. you may also want to consider quitting other applications if the Memory Pressure is hi.

May 27, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Wayne Contello

I did what you mentioned. I checked the memory pressure while no applications were open and it was solid green. I then opened up numbers and the memory pressure started going yellow and red in a wave pattern. My memory used doubled and is almost at the physical memory max. Numbers has since froze again, any suggestions on what to do to resolve this problem without losing any of my data?

May 27, 2015 5:13 PM in response to UCS6186

If there are documents that open when you launch Numbers then one of those documents may be corrupt. I suggest holding the shift key when launching Numbers. This instructs Numbers to launch without opening previously open documents. Then try opening documents (one at a time). If a document opens no problem, then close the document and open the next. Once you know which document is causing the trouble at least you know that. You can email the problem document to me if you want I can can see if I can move content to a new document.

I have 16GB installed so I may be able to get the doc open and still not run out of memory.

My email is in the bio of my profile.

Numbers keeps freezing when making changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.