Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly when listening to music in my library the tunes are playing in reverse order. It seems to be only on certain records. I tend to search for a specific artist and listen to only those songs. How do I make songs play in numerical order?

Suddenly when listening to music in my library the tunes are playing in reverse order. It seems to be only on certain records. I tend to search for a specific artist and listen to only those songs. I have the songs list by artist, year and descending. How do I make songs play in numerical order? I am using iTunes 12.1.2.27 64-bit with Windows 7.

Gateway-OTHER, Windows 7, Desktop

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:47 AM

8 replies

May 27, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Murmur71

Check the headings of the columns in the songs view. One of these will have a small black triangle indicating it is being used for the current sort order. If the triangle is pointed downwards click it so that it points upwards. Your tracks should now play in the correct order. In some cases it is possible to arrive at a display that shows tracks in ascending order even though elsewhere you have told iTunes to use a descending order. iTunes isn't very flexible when it comes to sub-sorting content into a particular order. You can't, for example, sort by artists in ascending order, then albums in descending order of year, and then tracks in ascending track number order, which I guess is what you were hoping for.

tt2

May 27, 2015 9:28 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for the response. I have yet to find but will continue to look for what you directed. Giving an example of what I am encountering, I searched for all albums by Marilyn Manson. When playing the albums all seem to play correctly in how I have them sorted by album / year / descending. When listening to The Golden Age of Grotesque the song plays ( 15, 14, 13, etc.). When going to the next album, in date order, HolyWood begins to play but in reverse as well (19, 18, 17, etc.). Once HolyWood is finished it then moves to Mechanical Animals, as it should, but that album begins from the end and plays in reverse as well (14, 13, 12, etc.). The entire catalog is playing in this fashion.

May 27, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Murmur71

Main library; I have been using iTunes for some time and never had issue. I have sorted by artist / album by year / descending for quite some time with no issue with the songs playing in reverse. It has just happened in the last two or three days. I have since changed as you directed from descending to ascending but the song are still playing in reverse. I want to thank you for taking time to respond. Anything you offer will be attempted to say the least.

Suddenly when listening to music in my library the tunes are playing in reverse order. It seems to be only on certain records. I tend to search for a specific artist and listen to only those songs. How do I make songs play in numerical order?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.