Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to restore a backed up USB drive...

I currently back up the hard drive of my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro and recently started to include a USB drive in the back ups as well as it holds a lot of pictures and videos.

This seems like a simple issue but I'm still stuck. When I go into Time Machine with the USB drive attached I can see the back ups... as long as the drive is attached. However if the USB drive dies and I need to restore the back ups obviously I won't be able to attach the drive. Any idea how to get at those backups without the USB drive being attached?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:35 AM

Eject the drive so that it is not connected to your Mac, which simulate the drive not being there

Run Time Machine

Pick a recent date

Click on the name of your Mac under Devices on the left panel of the Finder window

That will display Macintosh HD (or whatever you have named your drive) and the USB drive on the right side of the window

Click on the USB drive to highlight it

Click the gear icon at the top of the window

Click Restore USB drive to.......

Select a destination for the data

Alternately, you can right-click on the USB drive to highlight it

Choose Restore USB drive to......

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Paralyzed7

Eject the drive so that it is not connected to your Mac, which simulate the drive not being there

Run Time Machine

Pick a recent date

Click on the name of your Mac under Devices on the left panel of the Finder window

That will display Macintosh HD (or whatever you have named your drive) and the USB drive on the right side of the window

Click on the USB drive to highlight it

Click the gear icon at the top of the window

Click Restore USB drive to.......

Select a destination for the data

Alternately, you can right-click on the USB drive to highlight it

Choose Restore USB drive to......

Trying to restore a backed up USB drive...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.