Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes loses NAS-based Network Media Folder Location

I have all of my music on a external NAS (Network Attached Storage) unit (Synology)

iTunes from time-to-time just loses the location my music network Volume (/Volumes/music/SBMusic/Music).

If the Network Volume is not connected or active at the time accessing via iTunes, I have to connect and search to set the right network-based media library folder again. Because it has reverted and is then shown as blank or has the default iTunes user location (Users/SBMacMini/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media).

So If missing or reset, I have to reset the connection by using Preferences/Advanced/ iTunes Media Folder Location/ Change back to Network location and then OK (Updating iTunes Libarary, it can be many hours of rescanning the library and doing all of the backend library processing i.e. Album artwork etc...

Why can't iTunes just leave the network volume always there, until changed by me the user?

If it is not connected to my NAS when starting itunes it should just go find the network connection. The access to the drive located in Apple OS file access credentials.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks

Mac Mini Mid-2009, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:52 AM

1 reply

May 27, 2015 9:13 AM in response to caffeineplease

iTunes has always acted that way with external drives. It has to have active drive access when starting the application or it reverts to defaults for required files.

You can use a general web search to look up methods to use Applescripts to mount external drives before starting iTunes and use one of those to start the iTunes load process.

E.g., Thread on using Applescript and shell commands to mount external drives and volumes. http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=34244

Alternatively: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3282856?answerId=17051276022#17051276022 - "Create an alias of iTunes and place it on the network drive. Then drag that alias to the dock so when iTunes launches the drive has to mount if it is not already."

iTunes loses NAS-based Network Media Folder Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.