Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 Mac Pro gives 5 Boot Up chimes

I have a 2008 Mac Pro Tower that all of a sudden wants to freeze up, besides mouse movement. Upon restarting with the power button, it gives me 5 boot up chimes, and never boots up. Only gives me a black screen. It then repeats itself over and over again. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Adam

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:33 AM

Problem solved...maybe. I unplugged everything from the tower, waited about 10 minutes, pulled some people into my office to put it on the spot, plugged it all back in and voila! It made me out to be a liar. I hate when it does that. BUT, could this be something that is going out on this motherboard?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2015 8:33 AM in response to ahat34

Problem solved...maybe. I unplugged everything from the tower, waited about 10 minutes, pulled some people into my office to put it on the spot, plugged it all back in and voila! It made me out to be a liar. I hate when it does that. BUT, could this be something that is going out on this motherboard?

May 27, 2015 9:23 AM in response to ahat34

It could be memory-related. In the case of "not enough working RAM to start up" BOTH the power light blinking and a set of three tones could occur.

In the iMac and MacBook, problems with memory are detected by hearing the three tones. In the Mac Pro silver tower, the tones seldom sound, and the blinking power light is more often used to detect this problem.

The Mac Pro uses Error Correcting Code memory, so you will not see this problem fester. Minor problems are corrected by Hardware on-the-fly, and major problems cause bad module slots to be declared "empty" if caught early, and cause a distinctive kernel panic, machine check if caught later.

2008 Mac Pro gives 5 Boot Up chimes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.