Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Stuck

My time machine stuck backing up at 7.72 GB of 178.74.

It's an external drive where I try to back it up.

Also it's the second time I try to back up and it stuck again at the exact same spot 7.72GB .

What should I do?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 27-inch Intel Quad-Core i7 2.93GHz 8GB 2TB

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:52 AM

7 replies

Dec 25, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Eric Root

I'm having the same problem, but in KB rather than GB.

I had to stop the backup because my MacBook was out of battery, after having backed up aprox 50 GB out of 400 GB. I stopped the backup from the Time Machine menu, and ejected correctly, before disconnecting the external HD. After charging the macbook I plugged the backup disk back in, and then Time Machine spends about an hour "Preparing Backup." Then it starts copying, but stays in the KB for hours, until I run out of battery... and then I repeat the process...

I've been over everything on http://pondini.org/TM/D2.html. I've also tried booting in to safe mode, clearing pram, verifying / repairing disk & permissions on both the macbook and the external disk. Nothing I've tried gets the backup back to a normal speed.

MacBook is from 2015 and software is up to date.

External hard drive is a Western Digital 1TB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Time Machine Stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.