Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clarification of turingtest2 on automatic login

turingtest2 is implying that you can be automatically logged in to ASC or at least ASC will remember my password. How do I do that?

"You should find that on subsequent visits your email address and password are entered for you and clicking Sign In will log in without requiring authentication."

second page of

Remember user name and stay logged in?

I do not use two step login.

ASC is wiping out my password on the login window. Very annoying when I made the decision to have my password saved by my browser.

User uploaded file

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on May 27, 2015 9:03 AM

23 replies

May 27, 2015 10:11 AM in response to rccharles

Maybe you are doing this deliberately in your posting of an image but your AppleID is not your user ID here (rccharles) but your email address (not a good idea to display in an image here which is maybe why you aren't showing it, but just to be clear...).

Oh, about 6 months ago the automatic password thing stopped working for me too but I presumed it was an Apple vs. Anybody-but-Apple (in my case TenFourFox) thing.

I don't know what ChitlinsCC's tab stuff means. 🙂

May 27, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Limnos

For security rumor has it apple has some javascript that erases the password. That's why you see the little broken line all the way to the left of the field.

ChtlinesCC developed this work-around.

After Apple ASC erases you auto filled password, the cursor end up in the password field.

Press the back tab key ( shift tab ).

Press the tab key. Now you password is filled in. Javascript doesn't notice the password fill in!

Press return to login.

I noticed this work-around. edit > paste will paste into a password field without javascript taking note.

Robert

May 27, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

Oh, about 6 months ago the automatic password thing stopped working for me too but I presumed it was an Apple vs. Anybody-but-Apple (in my case TenFourFox) thing.

I don't know what ChitlinsCC's tab stuff means. 🙂

The former is apparently an strategy that many "secure" sites are using - my Bank, Chase.com is one.

Workaround if you don;t wanna type your password every time, and have your browser 'remembering' it - works like a charm.

buenos tardes

ÇÇÇ

May 27, 2015 1:31 PM in response to rccharles

As I wrote in the other thread, you may need to visit your browser's settings pages to make sure it is able to cache your password. Both Chrome and Safari (other browsers may vary) seem to prompt to save passwords, but have a "no & don't ask again" option which you would need to reset if you've used it. Or it could be that your browser's password cache is corrupt and needs resetting for that reason.

For the avoidance of doubt the ability to save the password does not appear to be related to two-factor authentication. I've just signed into an alternate test account and the password has been saved, and can be reused on subsequent visits.

Hmm, actually I may have been using a browser that was already being "remembered"... 😕 I will clear the cache and try again. Nope still OK.

tt2

May 27, 2015 2:58 PM in response to turingtest2

I'm using Firefox 37.0.2 on Fedora 21. There is no problem with other sites. I think ASC is trashing the password via javascript.

turingtest2

You mean you do not have to do the back type think. How do you logon. I'm logged out every night. I then use this bookmark to get logged back in.

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login?appIdKey=52...clipped...56&path=%2F%2F people%2Frccharles%3Fview%3Ddiscussions&language=US-EN&baseURL=https%3A%2F%2Fdis cussions.apple.com

I'll see what shakes out when I get my new mac mini.

Robert

May 27, 2015 4:37 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2

If you're interested in what that "something" may be, view the Page Source of the Login Page and attend to lines 340-367 - particularly how it is not "formatted" (like 'checked' javascript) AND the line 344 " display: block; "

As I said before, here and elsewhere, my bank does the same thing and I have seen it on other sites I cannot "cite" from memory

best

ÇÇÇ

May 27, 2015 5:21 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

I think in that context block means the element takes the full width of its parent. See http://learnlayout.com/display.html

As shown here in the image I posted earlier my password is happily cached and filled in for me. At a guess on about 7 or 8 unique browsers running on different devices and operating systems. I get to this screen by clicking the Login link at the top of any ASC page. A shortcut to https://discussions.apple.com/login.jspa rather than some more complicated url would make the process reliable and one click shorter.

User uploaded file

Given I have also been able to cache the password of a new non-two-step account I don't think this site is actively preventing passwords from being saved, or interfering with the browser's attempts to make use of a saved password.

tt2

Clarification of turingtest2 on automatic login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.