Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps compatibility with what?

for try how run, I have buy a old Iphone3. after when i have try to install app, message say old OS version and no possibility to install. I have also s2, s3, s5 and all apps can run indipendently for OS version, with Iphone no? why?

iPhone 3G

Posted on May 27, 2015 10:27 AM

10 replies

May 27, 2015 10:57 AM in response to apple_help007

I have understood, but question is why? sorry, if this is how apple devices run, I'm really happy to try with 30 euro and not trash more money. with other devices i didn't have seen problem like this. so, question is not software but commercial because whatsapp running with samsung s2 (older than Iphone 3) and the same version with samsumg S6.

May 27, 2015 11:38 AM in response to marioalessandria

marioalessandria wrote:

for try how run, I have buy a old Iphone3. after when i have try to install app, message say old OS version and no possibility to install. I have also s2, s3, s5 and all apps can run indipendently for OS version, with Iphone no? why?

Because the developers of the apps have chosen not to make their apps compatible with older versions of the hardware or software.

May 27, 2015 12:04 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

nope... i'm programmer, software like whatsapp doesent need any strange hardware for run also not need any strange OS. tha's only commercial choise. neverthless, i will return to my samsung and buy S6, this Iphone3 help me to understand the good way to follow, before decision it was before iphone and S6. so thank for reply but discussion is closed. it was only for understand if error it was my or is Apple. the only question is if this is legal in Europe. I'm not 100% sure they can lock any possibility to use apps only for commercial reason. I will check this topic on EU consumer right. after that I know there are possibility to upgrade software by tools not apple and simple apps will run but this is not a reasonable way.

so, bye and thank

May 27, 2015 12:09 PM in response to marioalessandria

marioalessandria wrote:

nope... i'm programmer, software like whatsapp doesent need any strange hardware for run also not need any strange OS. tha's only commercial choise.

If you are such a good programmer, ask whatsapp why they have chosen not to support the older iOS devices. That is a question for them.

marioalessandria wrote:

the only question is if this is legal in Europe. I'm not 100% sure they can lock any possibility to use apps only for commercial reason. I will check this topic on EU consumer right.

You are kidding here, right? And to top that off, you want to compare an iPhone 3G to a Samsung S6? Boy, you have some warped values.

May 27, 2015 12:10 PM in response to marioalessandria

I have apps that still work on the original iPhone from 7 years ago. It is up to the app developer whether they want to support older versions. Apple doesn't force them to.

You will have real fun with an S6, because Android app compatibility is really dismal. The same app will not work on different versions of Android, or even on the same version on different phones. I have a close friend who is an Android developer. Each time a new release comes out he has to rewrite his app. And he has to have different versions for different phone manufacturers. It's a real nightmare. If you wrote an app for the original iPhone it will still run on the iPhone 6. Apple has always maintained forward compatibility. But backward compatibility is in the hands of the app developer. Apple cannot legally force developers to provide backward compatibility.

May 27, 2015 2:51 PM in response to marioalessandria

marioalessandria wrote:

i'm programmer, software like whatsapp doesent need any strange hardware for run also not need any strange OS.

I never said it did. I said that it's up to a developer if they want to support older hardware or software. The fact that they chose not to may have nothing to do with programming competence and everything to do with economics. Whatever the reason, WhatsApp choses not do support the phone you have.

And, yeah, comparing an iPhone 3G and a Samsung S6 (a phone that is not doing nearly as well as Samsung had hoped, by the way) is like comparing a '57 Chevy to a 2015 Chevy Impala. It's just a silly comparison.

Apps compatibility with what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.