Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i share a value between to numbers spreadsheets

i would like to share values bewteen 2 spread sheets on numbers

Posted on May 27, 2015 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:13 PM

Numbers does not allow one to refer to cells in a table of a sheet in a different document (or file). The best solution is to store related information in different sheets.

47 replies

Aug 30, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Redundancy of information often leads to errors, because keeping these numbers in synch would turn out to be a nightmare, specially when you talk about sheets with over 50 rows of data.

So I would not call that a "Best solution". It is like when you get hanged 10 inch above the ground versus 10 feet above, it does not make a huge difference and then calling the 10 inch a Best Solution ......

Aug 30, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Smiley_sr

I am just addressing your statement that syncing numbers in a spreadsheet would "turn out to be a nightmare" In Numbers sheets are tables and you can sync between tables, it's not a nightmare at all, it's routine.

Additionally the question is about 2 sheets, not 2 files, they are different things.

Please provide a link to whatever evidence you have that shows support for your assertion.

Aug 30, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Csound1

I Did go back and read th OP, and it is vague. Some people refer to spreadsheets as different documents and others don't. Since you didn't make the OP maybe you should stop posting until that person does.

to the person of the OP. There are a number of ways to accomplish sharing values between two sheets in the same document. To figure out which is best we would need more information.

Aug 30, 2015 12:15 PM in response to Csound1

Hi all,

I think the confusion is in how Numbers defines a "spreadsheet". A "spreadsheet" is what Numbers calls a document. Within that document there are "sheets" and on the sheets there can be many tables. This is different from Excel.

If the poster's question is how to share data between sheets of the same document, this is something that is easily done in Numbers. If the poster wants to share data between different Numbers documents then this is not easily done within Numbers. If this is the case, and the poster is committed to keeping their spreadsheets in Numbers then the two files need to be joined or an applescript solution can be used. If the poster needs to keep the documents separate or does not want to use applescript then another spreadsheet program can be used. I am told that Excel and Libra Office may be able to link between seperate documents or spreadsheets.

quinn

Aug 30, 2015 5:43 PM in response to t quinn

It's a little like an American trying to understand, say, Australian!🙂 It seems like the same language, but there are enough little differences to cause misunderstanding.

A Numbers "spreadsheet" or "document" is analogous to an Excel "workbook."

A Numbers "sheet" (tab) in analogous to an Excel "worksheet" or "sheet" (but has a expandable canvas rather than a grid of cells).

Cells in Numbers are always in a "table" whereas cells in Excel can be directly in a "sheet" or in a table in a sheet.

References between cells in different tables (located on the same or different sheets) in Numbers are easy as long as the tables are in the same "spreadsheet" or "document."

References between cells in tables in different Numbers documents is not possible in formulas, whereas references between cells in different Excel workbooks is possible (though probably best avoided in most situations).

It is possible to read and write information between different Numbers documents using AppleScript, but in most cases it is (much) easier to reorganize work so that it is all located in the same Numbers document.

SG

Aug 30, 2015 6:06 PM in response to SGIII

SGIII wrote:

References between cells in tables in different Numbers documents is not possible in formulas, whereas references between cells in different Excel workbooks is possible (though probably best avoided in most situations).

No reason to avoid it either. The system itself is old, well tried and tested. It is simple to name the cells that are linked making the method impervious to worksheet edits, or, as Excel can have multiple worksheets in one workbook you can do it on multiple sheets in the same file (document)

Does Numbers allow cell linking by name? or is it still stuck with by reference only?

how do i share a value between to numbers spreadsheets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.