Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help needed? Importing photos to iMovie.

I am using iMovie 9.0.9 but can no longer import photos, either by dragging them in, or importing (only the Photo Booth option appears. Not the chance to select photos!). Any advice on what to do?

It used to work, but now won't.

Not sure whether anything has changed since I upgraded iPhoto to Photos?!

Can anyone give me some tips on how I can get photos into my movie?

Thanks so much

Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 3:39 PM

iMovie cannot import from Photos, only from the iPhoto library or your desktop.

9 replies

May 27, 2015 8:05 PM in response to chrissice

I have been struggling with this myself and just figured this out this evening. Or re-figured it, since I know I'd done something similar before but couldn't quite remember it.

I have a Mac Air with Mavericks, and iMovie 10.0.8 along with Photos.

In iMovie, create a new event (File -> New Event), then create a new movie in the event (File -> New Movie). In the left-hand column under "Libraries" the first option is "Photos Library." Click on that and you should see your photos and videos from Photos. You can then select the ones you want and drag them to the Event you created. When you then go to the event, the footage should be available for you to create your movie.

I hope this helps.

May 30, 2015 1:29 AM in response to capsfan6

Hi, Thanks for your advice.

I don't have that option, unfortunately.

If I am to understand you correctly, in the left hand column, there should be adoption to import from Photo library, but I only have the option that shows is titled Events Library and underneath, I can only click on Last Import.

So, still no way of importing photos!

Am I looking in the right place?

c

May 30, 2015 8:25 AM in response to chrissice

Sorry that didn't help. The difference could be in our different iMovie versions, or perhaps the OS. I'm not sure what OS you have.

It might be easier to either export the photos from iPhoto or Photo to individual files in a folder or your desktop and import them that way. Then you could go to Import and navigate to the location where you saved them, and select them for import.

Jun 1, 2015 3:50 PM in response to gregmacosko

"I have .7 and cannot update it further via the App Store"

You mean you have 10.0.7?

You should be able to update to 10.0.8 provided your current version is registered with your Apple ID. If you have a second-hand machine which had iMovie 10.0.7 installed but with a different Apple ID then my understanding is that you will have to purchase 10.0.8. (It's not part of OS X but is provided free to the purchaser of a new Mac.)

Geoff.

Jul 3, 2015 5:14 PM in response to chrissice

I have a work-around.

1. Open both iMovie 9.0.9 and Photos 1.0 side by side.

2. Add a new folder to the Desktop. (I suggest setting the desktop Sort By to None -- that lets you move this new folder to a convenient spot between the iMovie window and the Photos window. )

3. Open the new folder and make it small -- just big enough to see at least 1 file.

We know you can't drag a photo directly from Photos 1.0 to iMovie 9.0.0. - so...

4. Simply drag the photo from Photos to the new open folder on your desktop. And from there drag it into your iMovie project.

I find this work-around just as convenient (if not more convenient) than the embedded window in iMovie,

Help needed? Importing photos to iMovie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.