Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd generation iPod touch sleep/wake button

I have a 64 GB 3rd Generation iPod Touch running iOS 5.1.1

I have recently noticed that there appears to be a problem with the sleep/wake button.

I listen to music on my iPod with the screen off (not glowing - iPod is on and music is playing but nothing is being displayed on the screen), and my iPod randomly lights up as if I had pressed the sleep/wake button.

This happens when I do not press the button and the screen turns on, then off, on, off, and so on repeatedly like the sleep/wake button was being pressed. I also quite frequently notice that the power off swipe function appears - which occurs when the sleep/wake button is pressed and held for a few seconds - during these episodes.

However, when I actually press the sleep/wake button, the iPod does what it's supposed to do - the screen either turns on when it's off or turns off when it's on. I have also noticed that simply by not pressing the sleep/wake button, the screen on/off episode ends.

What is going on here? Is this something that can be fixed? I have reset the iPod by pressing and holding the sleep/wake and home buttons at the same time, but this did not fix the problem.

What can I do to fix this?

iPod touch (3rd generation), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:30 AM

1 reply

May 29, 2015 11:59 AM in response to glebovmccloud

Hi glebovmccloud,

I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your iPod touch. Based on the behavior you are describing (what appears to be intermittent activation of the sleep/wake button) and the troubleshooting you have already done, it sounds like you may need to have your iPod evaluated and/or serviced. You may find the following page helpful:

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

Regards,

- Brenden

3rd generation iPod touch sleep/wake button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.