Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Safari History using Time machine

Lost my Safari History, struggled for solution

worked out this solution but wonder if there are others and easier and if only History.plist needs to be restored or all three

1. Open Safari Library folder in Go to Folder on finder using ~/Library/Safari

2. With that folder remaining open go to the Time Machine Icon and open the

menu and select Enter Time Machine, the time machine will display the Safari

window which otherwise can not be entered on Time Machine

3. Find the Safari window from the date that you want to restore

4. On the bottom of the window is the location chain click on the Library Window

and then copy the Safari window of that date to your Desktop

5. I selected the History.dp, History.dp-wal & History.plist and replaced in the

Current User Library/Safari window and deletedthe desktop Time Machine

copy of the Safari Window

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:16 PM

Are you really running a G5 iMac on OS X 10.3.9? If so you are in the wrong forum. If you have upgraded since then please edit your profile so we know at least the version of OS X installed on your iMac.

I believe you will find Safari's history in:

Library > Caches > Metadata > Safari > History

5 replies

May 27, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Linc Davis

I had read your earlier posting in Jan on this same issue and did just that, restored History.db from a date just 7 days ago now, 05-20-15. But got mixed results from no history at all to history dating back to Jan 2013 alone all by accessing the date 05-20-2015? So I tried all three of the history documents in the Safari folder found in Library on the Time Machine and my lost history was recovered. Since I finally achieved my goal I did not experiment with other combinations, but I wondered if all you needed was History.plist as you had previously indicated was the case with 10.9 .5 and earlier Jan 24 2015 5:04 PM.

Also getting into the Library Safari Folder was tricky, and found the above approach on a different blog.

Restore Safari History using Time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.