Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 - Vibrates too much!

Hi, I bought a Brand-New iPad Air 2 about five days ago and it's Vibrating too much! It's so uncomfortable and annoying. The Sound that comes out of the speakers is horrible! The screen and the back of the iPad start Vibrating and eventually the iPad heats up due to this! It feels like your fingers are getting electrical stimulation. What should I do? Please help me out!

iPad Air, iOS 8.3, iPad Air 2

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:16 AM

6 replies

May 27, 2015 12:22 PM in response to TheFlashZero

It's by design. Some cannot tolerate it, some can. Some have found work-arounds like myself.

1. If you use the iPad in portrait mode, flip the iPad over so the Home button is at the top of the iPad and have the screen rotate to match your changed screen orientation. The speakers are at the bottom of the iPad and the vibration is more pronounced with your hands touching the bottom of both the screen and the iPad's back. Flipping the iPad moves the speakers to the top where your hands are not normally holding/touching it.

2. Put the iPad in a case or even just a back-case. This will isolate your hands somewhat from the vibrations directly on the iPad's back. The screen vibrates as well on the iPad Air 2 but you can't really do anything about this except for rotating it as I mentioned above.

3. As for audio quality out of the speakers, there's not much you can do there except for using headphones or an external Bluetooth speaker.

Everyone wants (according to Apple) thin, thin, thinner...etc. There are tradeoffs with this logic and the audio performance on the iPad Air 2 is one of those tradeoffs.

May 27, 2015 12:44 PM in response to TheFlashZero

TheFlashZero wrote:

Do you agree that it Vibrates?

Of course I agree and of course it does...that's why I listed my own personal work-arounds above.

The "other models at the Apple Store" that you mentioned...were they OTHER than the Air 2? AFAIK, the Air 2 is the one with this issue being the most apparent. Other iPads are built more robustly with thicker aluminum and touchscreen glass. As I mentioned above, in the quest for thinness, sacrifices have to be made. The thinner something is, whether it be the touchscreen glass or the aluminum back, the more it's going to vibrate with a sound source (speakers) embedded within it.

If you can't tolerate the vibrations, return the Air 2 for an Air 1 if you are still within the return window.

FWIW, all iPads heat up. The vibrations are not a contributing factor.

You have a 14-day return window to return your device for any reason. You can then purchase the Air 1 if you so desire.

iPad Air 2 - Vibrates too much!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.