Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not sure if this is an 'if' function question...

... but I just want to create a function whereby if I enter a number (from 1-8 inclusive) the cell refers to another source and then displays, for example 'Sugar' (if I specify elsewhere that '1' = 'Sugar'). I know these are basics, but not for me! Thanks!

Numbers 3.5.3 iMac 21.5 inch Yosemite 10.10.3

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:00 AM

11 replies

May 27, 2015 12:05 PM in response to chimes2

so you want to lookup a name based on a value.

Something like this may work for you:

User uploaded file

Create a second table (shown on the right),

call it "Product"

make the first row a header row

enter the information as shown (pasted below for convenience)

In the table on the left you can "get" the name by locating the value listed in the "Item ID" column in the table product then returning the value in the Name column of the same row. To do this... you use the function lookup() like this:

C2=IF(COUNTA(B2)>0,VLOOKUP(B2,ID:Name, 2, 0), "")

this is shorthand for, select cell C2, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=IF(COUNTA(B2)>0,VLOOKUP(B2,ID:Name, 2, 0), "")

select cell C2, copy

select all cells from C2 thru the end of column C, paste

ID

Name

Sugar

Flour

Butter

Brown Sugar

Cinnamon

Nutmeg

Baking Soda

Baking Power

Salt

May 30, 2015 11:42 PM in response to chimes2

Ok, this now works, so thank you. But I've realised that what I actually need, is;

To have an option whereby if I enter a number (1 to 6 inc) in THE SAME cell, the outcome will therefore be shown in the adjacent cell.

So I guess it's the same formula, for each variable, but somehow 'condensed' in that same cell.

Also, I want to then repeat this, 8 times, so I can show 8 different themes, and then 6 different choices for each theme. I will then use a random number generator, whereby an 8-digit number will be generated, each number being from 1-6 inclusive. This will allow me to enter this random number and these formulas will display the 'outcome' of this random number!

This all sounds complicated (to me, anyway!), but I think it's just reputation of the same workings, no? Any advice appreciated!

May 31, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Ok, so I realise I already have the option as regards the one cell. So now I would like to have the same formula in the next cell - in the first sheet, in the row marked 'B', referencing the 6 options as shown in the second sheet in the column marked 'B', then, of course to repeat therefore including all columns in the second sheet, A-G inclusive.

User uploaded file

Not sure if this is an 'if' function question...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.