Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

newly created open directory users can't connect to file share

I have a very strange problem with a legacy OD & file server running 10.6.8 Server.

I create a new OD user, and they can log in to a bound client Mac using their credentials, but they cannot access the file shares on the same server. The new users are in the same permission groups as older users who are able to access the shares. In the Server Admin, the new users don't even show up in the Users & Groups panel.

Here is where it gets strange. If I reboot the server, this situation is rectified (temporarily). After the reboot, the new users have proper permissions and can access the file shares normally. However, at some point during the night after the reboot, the directory reverts back to the original state! Older users (created before this month) are able to access everything normally. Any newly created users can't access the file shares!

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing these problems, and making them reoccur?

The Server is a 2011-vintage Mac Pro. There is also an OD replica running 10.6.8 Server on a similar Mac Pro.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), OS X Server

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:02 PM

2 replies

Jun 1, 2015 2:55 PM in response to burtfurn

Just to update this ticket:

The situation was remedied by removing our replica server. Once the replica server was converted to a standalone system, file sharing was available for all new users. The server has been stable in this state for a week now. So, if anyone else gets this weird problem, it is likely caused by a corrupted replica. 😝

PS: The SMB sharing was also not working correctly, though I falsely stated that it was. I was confused because SMB in OS X does show you available shares, even if you can't authenticate to them.

newly created open directory users can't connect to file share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.