Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am looking to hook up to internet only. Do I need a router and modem or do apple products combine them

I'm changing over from internet/tv on cable and am downsizing to just internet. Do I need a modem and router just for the internet? If so do you know of any apple products that combine the two? is it recommended or do I just buy separate/ What are people's advice? I am looking just to be connected to comcast internet

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:35 PM

2 replies

May 27, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Lisa Ford

For the Internet service you need a modem. If the modem that the cable company provides also includes a router, then you don't need a second router. If it does not contain a router, then you will need a router of some kind. Apple's networking hardware does not include a modem. You must get that from your cable company.

May 27, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Lisa Ford

If you have your heart set on an Apple wireless router, the products are just that....routers that do not include a modem.

So you will need a separate modem to provide Internet connection service if you opt for an Apple router. The Internet Service Provider (ISP) that you choose may have several modems to offer....or they may not. Sometimes, the ISP will provide a list of approved modems for use with their service.

Most Internet Service Providers offer modem/routers which are also called gateways to their customers. These devices combine the functions of a separate modem and separate wireless router all in one package. As such, this is probably the easiest way for most users to get started....since you don't have to worry about whether a given router will work with a given modem.

I am looking to hook up to internet only. Do I need a router and modem or do apple products combine them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.