Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In-car Bluetooth music playback stopped working

Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but I'm struggling to find my way around the support community categories.

I am having trouble playing music in my car via bluetooth on my iPhone 6 (v8.3 of iOS). I have a Volkswagen with an RCD 510 stereo and I have happily been playing music via bluetooth on this for months. I was also able to control the music playback via the touchscreen on the car stereo. Last week the music playback stopped working.

The mobile phone portion of the connection is working correctly and I can make and receive calls without any issue. However music playback has stopped working. I can still see the track that the phone is playing displayed on the stereo with the time remaining on the track at the point of playback displayed correctly, the stereo is also showing the track as playing (as opposed to paused) but no sound is coming from the speakers. The time remaining shown on the car stereo doesn't decrease either, although on the phone I can see that the track is playing as expected. I can then press play on the car stereo and the track plays on the phone but again with no sound, pausing the track on the car stereo doesn't work and it carries on playing on the phone.

I have tried connecting an iPad and iPhone 5 to the car stereo and these work perfectly. I have tried connecting my iPhone 6 to a portable speaker via bluetooth and this works perfectly as well. I have also tried the following fixes to no avail:

- Playing music through Spotify, Downcast and the native music player on the phone

- Deleting the bluetooth connection to the car on the phone and reconnecting

- Deleting the bluetooth connection to the phone from the car and reconnecting

- Switching bluetooth off and on again on the phone

- Switching the phone off and on again (by holding down the lock button)

- Rebooting the phone (by holding down the lock button and home button at the same time)

- Resetting the network settings on the phone

- Various combinations of the above

- Banging my head repeatedly on the steering wheel in frustration

I've run out of ideas now, I don't understand how the car and phone can play nicely with other devices but not each other, nor how the mobile calling and track display portions of the connection work but the audio doesn't.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2015 12:27 PM

Hey there jarmat,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with your connection to your car’s Bluetooth. I have an article that goes over some troubleshooting tips for this issue, and it can be found below:

Get help using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203412

According to the following article, you may also need to update your firmware for your car stereo:

Some car stereos require a firmware update for AVRCP 1.4 Bluetooth compatibility - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203712

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

-Braden

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2015 12:27 PM in response to jarmat

Hey there jarmat,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with your connection to your car’s Bluetooth. I have an article that goes over some troubleshooting tips for this issue, and it can be found below:

Get help using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203412

According to the following article, you may also need to update your firmware for your car stereo:

Some car stereos require a firmware update for AVRCP 1.4 Bluetooth compatibility - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203712

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

-Braden

May 30, 2015 12:55 AM in response to braden85

Thank you very much for your response to my question.

I've read both articles you linked to and whilst they were interesting they both seem to be concerned with getting bluetooth to work between the phone and car stereo in the first place rather than what to do if a working bluetooth music connection suddenly stops working.

I will look into what I need to do to update the firmware on my car stereo though as that certainly can't hurt!

Thanks again for trying to help.

Jun 1, 2015 11:44 AM in response to jarmat

Just an update on this, I found a setting on my Car stereo to return to factory settings. I took this option and bluetooth music playback has started working again, (Yay).

I have no idea what went wrong in the first place but at least the problem seems to be solved.

Now all I have to do is put all my preset radio station and speed dial numbers back in.

In-car Bluetooth music playback stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.