Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voicemail problems

Once a voicemail is left on my iphone 6, it

takes hours before I can access it.

I've talked with apple and my carrier, consumer cellular,

but haven't been able to resolve the problem.

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:56 PM

5 replies

May 17, 2016 12:06 PM in response to stan7757

For what it is worth, I have the same issue with an iPhone 6 and AT&T. I could take an hour or a day or more for a voicemail message to appear

in my voicemail on the phone.

But that is WHEN voicemail WORK. There is a bug: If I have WiFi enabled on the iPhone 6, I will NOT get notification of voicemail, nor will I get the voicemail. The fix and the problem are easy to reproduce. Turn WiFi OFF, then power cycle the iPhone ( just like windows software, eh? ). When the phone comes back up you will shortly receive your notification of voicemail; if you are lucky the voicemail will actually have content. I have received pending voicemail messages that had NO content.

Your voicemail will now work just fine, until you turn WiFi back on. Then the bug appears again, voicemail will not work, and you will need to turn off WiFi and power cycle the phone to restore voicemail functionality.

BUG BUG BUG.

May 17, 2016 12:35 PM in response to dr_grid

I am running on 9.3.2 and 9.3.1 before that. I am on AT&T and I have experienced none of the specifics which you have laid out. With that being said, the issue is just as likely to not be a "BUG BUG BUG".

To maybe isolate this further have you done some of the basics?

1 Backup your phone -How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

2 Update and restore through iTunes [as new] - Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

3 Test to see if issues persists - If it does, you have ruled out your data stored on your phone and the OS so you can restore your backup now. If it is resolved, then don't restore the backup.

(If it does persist)

1 Attempt a new SIM from your carrier

2 Have your carrier make a little more effort in verifying that there is no issue on their end, as voicemail is specifically maintained and managed by your carrier solely. Insist that they issue a ticket if it does persist. They will fight you on this, but better to do it than skip it, and find out later that it could have resolved it all along.

3 Contact Apple and ask for a Senior Advisor. They can gather some logs and submit them to Apple's Engineers for review and pursuit of permanent resolution.

If others are not experiencing your same issues while running your same OS on your same carrier, then there is a way.

Best of luck

May 17, 2016 1:08 PM in response to BBoiss

BBoiss, Thanks for the reply.

Have you tried my steps to reproduce the bug?

I upgraded iOS last night, now at 9.3.2. Problem continues. I don't use WiFi calling. Cellular

is phone phone calls, not WiFi (at least for me).

I have backed up my phone recently. Frankly these steps of solution sound just like the standard answer.

I have reset the network data. No difference. Backing up the phone, Upgrading and restoring as you

suggest sound like steps which insure a "sane" set of settings in the phone. I may try your steps, but I

would bet you a paycheck that it will not make any difference in this problem.

In particular, I see NO reason to mess with the SIM card. And you suggest I get the carrier a bit more involved?

Are you kidding, AT&T cares about me and this problem as much as Apple cares about me and this problem.

I have contacted Apple, and offered to actually talk to the real technical folks and not just the person on the phone.

I will be very surprised if I hear anything back from them.

Thanks however for your reply.

May 17, 2016 2:21 PM in response to dr_grid

Toggling or not, I have never experienced the issues you list. You see no reason to replace the SIM? That's fine. I don't need to read anymore of your words. You do what you feel and you see how much longer you deal with your problems. My suggestion is you listen to those they may know a fair amount more than you instead of griping and moaning as I see you enjoy doing here on the forums. UNIX and bloatware. Vendor told me this. This guy told me that.

I won't be attempting to help you any further.

Good luck

May 17, 2016 3:52 PM in response to BBoiss

BBoiss,

Again, thank you for your efforts.

Yes, I am griping and moaning about the current state of Apple software. It does irritate me that

things which worked previously are now unexpectedly broken.

I do come to the forums to listen to those that may know a fair amount more than I do. The hope

is to find that nugget of info that will help. Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

I am chuckling at your remarks about my remarks on software reliability, etc. I am sure you

fixed your last deadlocked Unix system in five minutes!

Have a great day.

Voicemail problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.