Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to set a 802.11ac specific SSID on 5GHz

Hi

I have an annoying problem.

I've just purchased a Apple time machine (i know this is the Airport section).

But first:

My set up is as follows.

Airport Time Machine is router/internet connection. (802.11ac compliant)

2 x Airport express extending current network (only 5GHz band) - primarily for airplay streaming.

My baseline internet connection with a Cat6 cable into the motherboard on my gaming PC:

User uploaded file

The problem is:

my gaming PC jumps onto the 802.11n network instead of the 802.11ac network. I'm guessing this is because the 5Ghz 40MHz band is so well covered by the 3 wifi senders, because i get a MCS-index value of 15 (300.0 Mbps) on my gaming rig (at 802.11n).

One of the Airport expresses is actually closer to my gaming pc than the Airport Time machine

This is a speedtest with all my airport's setup correctly and as they should.

User uploaded file

If i bump both Airport expresses down to the 2.4GHz band, the 5GHz 80MHz band shines through giving me a lot of throughput

User uploaded file

In the ASUS software i can clearly see the 802.11ac signal, but i can't connect to it even tho the signal is pretty good.

MAC address ending with A4:85 is the 802.11ac (5GHz 80MHz band) coming from the Aiport Time Machine

User uploaded file

My question is:

How do i manually create a SSID using only 5GHz 80MHz 802.11ac wifi connection what i can connect to with my gaming PC?

I would really hate having to power of all my Airport Expresses each time i wanna game a little, because they flood my apartment with 5GHz 40MHz 802.11n wifi signals.

Airport Time Machine-OTHER

Posted on May 27, 2015 1:39 PM

4 replies

May 27, 2015 2:17 PM in response to MarkusBRasmussen

How do i manually create a SSID using only 5GHz 80MHz 802.11ac wifi connection what i can connect to with my gaming PC?

Apple do not offer multiple ssid.. and so you cannot change it and expect the express to connect.

You could use the guest network.. if the TC is working in router mode.. however that is not even possible if it is bridged.

Apple build for a simple home setup.. and nought else.

May 27, 2015 3:01 PM in response to MarkusBRasmussen

Okay this is really weird.

I have the Time Machine set up as DHCP / NAT, which it's complaining about doublet NAT

My guest network is now working and only using 802.11ac (my gaming pc is only connected to the Airport Time Machine)

I get a pretty decent speed now. I think it'll approve if i move some stuff around at my place. (no line of sight at the moment)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

really weird fix. 😀 thank you

May 27, 2015 3:16 PM in response to MarkusBRasmussen

I think you have solved one problem.. and you will be creating another.

Using double NAT in gaming environment will be difficult in any multi-player type setup. Lots of games need huge numbers of ports opened which will simply not happen.. mind you they would not have happened on the TC anyway.. because it uses NAT-PMP and PC use UPNP.. anyway..

I don't want to rain on your parade..

Good luck and if it fails.. sorry but that is the nasty nature of networking.

I do have to make one comment..

Your current setup with 10.x.x.x address on both WAN and LAN is going to give you trouble..

User uploaded file

My experience is that Apple routers will not handle class A addresses on both WAN and LAN..

You might need to change the TC to 192.168.x.x address.. but see how it goes..

how to set a 802.11ac specific SSID on 5GHz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.