Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes on Yosemite and Snow Leopard?

Hi,

I have partitioned my HD and run Yosemite on startup, but have Snow Leopard on a partition for all my old files and applications. When using iTunes in Yosemite, I selected the old iTunes library, stupidly assuming that I would be able to use the same library from one folder on my HD for both versions of OSX.

Unfortunately, Yosemite iTunes has changed the library file to an .itl extension and now my old SL iTunes won't recognise it. I can't upgrade it to a newer version as I have the newest version available for SL.

Is there a way I can get both iTunes to run from the same library so that I don't have to have two separate folders of the same tunes?

Thanks!

PowerBook

Posted on May 27, 2015 1:11 PM

2 replies

May 27, 2015 9:39 PM in response to scotto75

I am not totally familiar with which iTunes versions run under what. I also don't know what requirements (e.g., syncing to devices) you have for using iTunes. For example, I use an 8 year old iTunes version because I don't own any Apple gadgets, I don't buy from the iTunes Store, I don't listen to iTunes Radio, I don't do podcasts, nor do I want to subscribe to iTunes Match. You may find there is a version which will work for both such as iTunes 10-something. I don't know.

Alternatively you can share media but have two different library files, but then you have the nuisance of trying to keep them synced.

There isn't really an ideal solution.

iTunes on Yosemite and Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.