Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If setting on iPhone store messages for 1 year, are they stored on the phone or someplace else?

My iPhone settings are set for my iMessages to be stored forever. Am I using valuable storage space on my phone by having it on this setting or are the iMessages stored in another location?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 27, 2015 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 1:07 PM

They are stored on the phone. If you do a backup to iCloud and/or iTunes they are also included in the contents of the backup. You can see how much storage space they are using on the phone by going to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage (in the Storage section, not the iCloud section).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2015 1:07 PM in response to rustyx111

They are stored on the phone. If you do a backup to iCloud and/or iTunes they are also included in the contents of the backup. You can see how much storage space they are using on the phone by going to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage (in the Storage section, not the iCloud section).

If setting on iPhone store messages for 1 year, are they stored on the phone or someplace else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.