Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can any recommend a good free antivirus for OS X 10.6.8?

I have an imac and use OS X 10.6.8. I have an old Sophos anti -virus but I when I try to update it tells me that it can't contact the primary ( or secondary) server. Updating to more recent OS X ( in order to use more recent anti-virus) seems to have variable reviews, so think I will stick with my present one. I'm kind of techno - phobic, so would appreciate user friendly instructions. Thanks

Jane Gabrielle

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 27, 2015 2:00 PM

5 replies

May 28, 2015 7:07 AM in response to janegabrielle

janegabrielle wrote:

thanks -but Sophos identified some malware when I ran a scan, so it looks like there's a problem with Mal/Phish files.

how do i get rid of them?

"Mal/Phish" generally refers to phishing e-mails. These are really not a threat, as long as you don't fall for them. Sophos has probably detected them in your Mail mailboxes... under no circumstances should you allow it to remove them from there!

For the proper way to remove these things, see:

How to remove infected files

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

Can any recommend a good free antivirus for OS X 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.