Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Product Name: HP Laser Jet 5000 N Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard When I updated to OS 10.6.6 my Laser Jet 5000 N didn't show up in my print window. I tried adding a printer in the Print

Product Name: HP Laser Jet 5000 N

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

When I updated to OS 10.6.6 my Laser Jet 5000 N didn't show up in my print window. I tried adding a printer in the Print & Fax in System Preferences with out any luck. In the Protocol window I have 3 options: Internet Printing Protocol - IPP, Line Printer Daemon - LPD and HP Jetdirect - Socket. I entered my correct IP address in the next window, 192.0.0.192. Queue is blank (says to leave blank for default queue) Next window comes up with the Name IP adddress, 192.0.0.192. Location window is automatically blank. Next window (Print Using) Gneneric Postcript Printer shows up automatically. A printer with the IP address (192.0.0.192) then shows up in the Printer Listing and if I try printing anything from it, in the Open Print Queue shows "Unable to connect to printer" will retry in 30 seconds without ever being able to connect.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish getting it to print would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 27, 2015 2:39 PM

1 reply

May 27, 2015 3:00 PM in response to idea40.dc

It's unlikely the IP address is 192.0.0.192. At least unlikely if it's connected to a router you're using to connect both the Mac and the 5000N to. It should start with 192.168.

1) At the printer. Press the Menu button to the right once so the display reads, "Information Menu". Press the Item button twice to the right so the display reads, "Print Configuration". Press the Select button. The printer will kick out two sheets. On the first page under the "Printer Information" heading is the IP address for your printer. It's the second entry from the bottom labeled, "HP JetSend Address: ip: 192.168.5.6 (your actual address will of course be different).

2) In the "Print & Fax" heading of the System Preferences, remove any existing entries for the 5000. Click the Add button and then the IP button. Under the Protocol pull down menu, choose "HP Jet Direct - Socket". Under "Address:", enter the IP address on your printout, like my example of 192.168.5.6. Under "Name:", put in something meaningful, like "HP LaserJet 5000N". Assuming you have the PPD installed, then under "Print Using:' choose "HP LaserJet 5000 Series". Click the Add button.

Product Name: HP Laser Jet 5000 N Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard When I updated to OS 10.6.6 my Laser Jet 5000 N didn't show up in my print window. I tried adding a printer in the Print

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.