Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Temperature Gauge Pro App with fan control

Does anybody have experience with Temperature Gauge Pro app? I just installed it to see how my 5k iMac is doing thermally and noticed that even when the temp of some components is 105C that the fan isn't doing all that much. So, I'm trying manual fan settings that specify 50% fan speed when any component is above 85C and 100% fan speed when any component is above 95C. I don't mind the fan noise but wonder if this might be detrimental to fan lifetime?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Also MacPro and running OS X server

Posted on May 27, 2015 4:47 PM

4 replies

May 27, 2015 8:36 PM in response to Community User

I don't have any experience with Temperature Gauge Pro, but I have a lot of experience with temperature apps. (I use iStat Menus.)

The best option would be to use a temperature control/fan app whenever it's needed. That is, when there isn't much activity (85 - 125 degrees F), keep the fan low. If you're processing video or gaming (165 degrees F or higher), don't worry about fan noise It's rather uncommon for a fan to die prematurely - but the CPU and logic board must be kept as cool as possible.

May 28, 2015 2:44 AM in response to Community User

Does Temperature Gauge Pro specifically state that it is compatible

with the 5k iMac? Sometimes monitor apps can give false results

if not specifically targeted to the hardware it is used on.

You may want to download the trial of iStat Pro and see if it shows

similar results. I have used the product for years and have found

it to be quite reliable.

May 28, 2015 5:41 AM in response to woodmeister50

iStat Pro hasn't been supported in years, although it might still work for temp and fan functions on current models. But beware from where it is downloaded. Many of the DL sites that might still offer it have been bundling adware with their DLs. The OP should be careful what he or she agrees to when accepting it.

May 28, 2015 5:45 AM in response to Community User

Captain Rocky wrote:

Does anybody have experience with Temperature Gauge Pro app? I just installed it to see how my 5k iMac is doing thermally and noticed that even when the temp of some components is 105C that the fan isn't doing all that much. So, I'm trying manual fan settings that specify 50% fan speed when any component is above 85C and 100% fan speed when any component is above 95C. I don't mind the fan noise but wonder if this might be detrimental to fan lifetime?

I wouldn't run the fans, or fan, more than a few hundred rpms above the default. Maybe max of +400 rpms above. Use the minimum that gets the temps nto an acceptable range. Continued very high rpms will shorten the life of the fan(s) and also introduce more dust into the interior.

Not sure if it will work with your model, but I use smcFan Control

http://www.eidac.de/?cat=40

Even though you may get a warning that it hasn't been tested on your Mac, continue on and see if it works or not.

Temperature Gauge Pro App with fan control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.