Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Ringer/Vibrate on iPhone with Apple watch

Since I have the Apple watch, when my iPhone is in lock screen, SMS do not ring/vibrate anymore. If I turn my watch off then all works fine. Any idea?

Posted on May 27, 2015 2:51 PM

16 replies

May 28, 2015 7:02 AM in response to M. R.

I have this same problem when receiving Mail and have filed a bug report...

When I receive mail while my iPhone is sleeping, I get a notification on my Apple Watch. But that notification is not enough to alert me that mail has arrived. This causes me to miss timely emails (important for my business)

The problem is that when the iPhone is sleeping (always sleeping when it is in my case on my belt), the iPhone will not vibrate or play a sound. Instead it uses the Apple watch to notify me. While this might seem like a clever idea, it is very bad because it does not work.

The haptic pulse is not strong enough (even when turned up all the way) to alert me.

SOLUTION: Allow users an option to let the iPhone vibrate and play a sound when mail arrives while wearing an Apple Watch with mail notification turned on. (You need both the Apple Watch and iPhone notifications at the same time).

I have missed enough important email notifications to warrant my turning off notifications for Mail on my Apple Watch. That way my iPhone will notify me when mail comes in.

I will leave the setting that way for now. But it defeats the main reason that I wanted an Apple Watch. I want to be able to simply raise my wrist when I hear an email arrive to see if I need to pull my iPhone out of my case to read the mail.

Apple could fix this in the Apple Watch app in Notifications / Mail / Custom

by having two options instead of one. The two options would be:

Show Alerts on Apple Watch Only

Show Alerts on Apple Watch and iPhone.

May 28, 2015 8:49 AM in response to Jack-the-Lad

if you switch off wrist detection in watch app on iPhone then notifications will be displayed and ring on both phone and watch at same time. Hope this helps...

Interesting work-around. It seems to work.

Strangely, the apple watch face does still appear when you raise your wrist.

And the latest message from incoming mail also appears when you raise your wrist.

The only problem with turning off Wrist Detection is "Some Activity measurements will be unavailable and your Apple Watch will no longer automatically lock".

May 28, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Rich Love1

The temporary work-around for my email notifications is to turn off email notifications for Mail in the Apple Watch App.

Then on my Mac in Mail Preferences, set a rule that sends a text message to me when any VIP email arrives.

That way my iPhone still vibrates and plays an audible sound when mail comes in and my watch notifies me whenever an important email comes in.

No Ringer/Vibrate on iPhone with Apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.