Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting in iTunes library by >1 column

Is it possible to sort the iTunes music library by more than one column, i.e., date added and song name?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.7GHz Quad, Core I5, 2x4GB

Posted on May 27, 2015 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 5:03 PM

No.

5 replies

May 27, 2015 7:45 PM in response to gsusser

In iTunes itself essentially no. Some columns have sort variations such as album by album artist, or by year, or album alone.

It may be possible to script sorting using Applescript so it generates a second playlist from an original with items in a specific manual sort order by certain criteria. I have not had a need for this so I have not investigated. do a general web search and in particular check the Dougscripts web site.

May 27, 2015 8:35 PM in response to gsusser

Officially NO.

You can, however, get the same result as sorting by two columns at once, because iTunes does not bother to randomize columns not used for the latest sort, in effect it remembers the previous sort. Sorry, this is harder to explain, than to do....

Example:

Click on the Album column header. Albums are alphabetized.

Now click on the Year. The list of tracks is now sorted chronologically by release Year.

Note, however, that within each Year group, the Albums remain alphabetized.

Bingo! The list is now sorted by Year AND by Album.

May 27, 2015 9:28 PM in response to Rysz

However,

Rysz wrote:

Example:

Click on the Album column header. Albums are alphabetized.

Now click on the Year. The list of tracks is now sorted chronologically by release Year.

Or click on any other column header.

Then click on Year.

The list of tracks is now sorted chronologically by release Year.

Note, however, that within each Year group, the Albums remain alphabetized.

Bingo! The list is now sorted by Year AND by Album.

Sorting in iTunes library by >1 column

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.