Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An unexpected error occurred (error code -8076).

At Applecare's request, I reinstalled OS 10.8.5 today. Now when I try to copy a file from my external HD to the computer HD, it says I have to enter my password. EVERY. TIME. To fix this I have:

1. Repaired disk permissions.

2. Attempted to add myself as Admin (which I already am) with Read and Write privileges. (Get info on the HD, click plus, add "Larry Israel" -which is listed as the sole admin for this machine but does not appear in the "Sharing and Permissions" list for the HD.)

When I attempt to do that, I get the error message: "An unexpected error occurred (error code -8076)."

Searching this message has not found any solutions, so here I am.

Thank you for any help you can render.

(Comment for Apple, also left at Feedback: most of us need to copy files to and from our HD. This archaic, locked down system should not be the default.)

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 27, 2015 5:37 PM

4 replies

Jun 2, 2015 5:27 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you, Eric. That's the same article I found. It will probably work for others, but mine was so bad that I could not select it or perform any action on it. Applecare recommended to erase and reinstall the OS. A lot of time and work, but I'm running again. Hopefully others needing help won't have to get so drastic!

Also wanted to say I tried to edit my original post, since my final comment was inaccurate. If there is a way to edit a post, I can't find it.

An unexpected error occurred (error code -8076).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.