Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does this symbol mean?

Can someone tell me what this symbol is at the top right of the channel strip (the circle with the vertical line through it)? I haven't seen this before and I don't know what it does.

User uploaded file

Posted on May 27, 2015 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 2:44 PM

Polarity

9 replies

May 28, 2015 1:07 PM in response to cook9330

Sometimes it is also labeled "Phase" or "Phase Invert". It flips the phase of the audio signal by 180°.

This is an important topic and when working in audio production, you should read up on it a little bit. No need to understand all the technical background, but at least have an idea about the basic concepts.

Here are just a few points:

• Changing the phase of an audio signal has no (audible) effect if you work on a single audio signal or audio signals that are not "correlated" (two completely different audio signals)
  • When you have two identical signal (two Channel Strips) and you "invert the phase" on one Channel Strip, then the signals will cancel each other out.
  • Using two microphones to record one acoustic signal could result in a bad "phase correlation" due to the distance of the microphones to the source. This could cause a colorization of the signal that can be improved sometimes by "flipping the phase" of one Channel.
  • When you hook up your two analog speakers and connect the + and - speaker cable (indicating the polarity) on one speaker wrong, then your speaker are "out of phase", a very undesirable effect. If you don't know how that sounds, do it on purpose.
  • Sometimes in a mix you can use the phase button to create an "out of phase" sound on a stereo signal to widen it in the stereo image. However, you have to be aware of the concequences when listening to mono.
  • A lot of your favorite Audio FX (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser) are using the concept of "messing with the phase" to achieve specific effects

Logic's Channel Strip doesn't have a didicated Phase switch. The one from your screenshot is the Audio Device Control which functions as a Remote Control for the controls on the connected Audio Interface.

However, you can add the Gain Plugin to any Channel Strip, which has a "Phase Invert" button.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

What does this symbol mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.