Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac not going to sleep -- new problem

Just noticed this yesterday.

my imac is not going to sleep; was fine a few days before. Have reset SMC and even booted in Safe mode, but no change. I think there may be some setting that's been changed, but not sure. Anyone else have this problem, and can you help?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on May 27, 2015 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:04 PM

Test after each of the following steps that you haven’t already tried:

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps suggested in this support article. That's the starting point for any further effort to solve the problem. Skipping any of those steps may mean that the problem won't be solved.

Note that, as stated in the article, the computer will not sleep if some sharing services are enabled.

Step 2

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Accessibility ▹ Speakable Items: Off

Step 3

Select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Bluetooth ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck both boxes marked

Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if...

Step 4

In the Printers & Scanners preference pane, delete any duplicate printers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2015 8:04 PM in response to Knopflerfan

Test after each of the following steps that you haven’t already tried:

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps suggested in this support article. That's the starting point for any further effort to solve the problem. Skipping any of those steps may mean that the problem won't be solved.

Note that, as stated in the article, the computer will not sleep if some sharing services are enabled.

Step 2

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Accessibility ▹ Speakable Items: Off

Step 3

Select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Bluetooth ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck both boxes marked

Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if...

Step 4

In the Printers & Scanners preference pane, delete any duplicate printers.

May 29, 2015 7:17 AM in response to Linc Davis

Solved it -- i went to by bluetooth settings this morning. It seems that my MB Pro had a bluetooth connection to my iMac (which I didn't know about), and when I eliminated that that seemed to do the trick, for some reason; I also eliminated my other bluetooth devices that I'm not using (mouse, keyboards, etc) and only have my track pad. Although I'm not sure why these would cause the computer to not go to sleep. Any ideas? Will come back if the problem returns, but Linc Davis, it was your suggestion here that got me thinking and looking around, so thanks.

iMac not going to sleep -- new problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.