Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I synced my iPod and now all my music is gone

I just synced my iPod and, with the exception on 12 songs, all my other music has disappeared. Most of it was from CDs I no longer have. What happened and is there any way to get them back?

Windows 8, Ipod Nano that should be registered

Posted on May 27, 2015 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 4:48 PM

I used the same laptop I always use. Everything was in the iTunes library. It did ask if I wanted to add everything in the library and I said "yes". Now, it took out everything except 12 songs. So, everything I loaded and anything but these 12 that I purchased are gone. Now when I look in the library, only those 12 songs are there also.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2015 4:48 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I used the same laptop I always use. Everything was in the iTunes library. It did ask if I wanted to add everything in the library and I said "yes". Now, it took out everything except 12 songs. So, everything I loaded and anything but these 12 that I purchased are gone. Now when I look in the library, only those 12 songs are there also.

May 27, 2015 4:51 PM in response to jsargo

Syncing of the iDevice cannot remove content from iTunes library. It seems to me there is some other disconnect with your library here, either you are not using the correct Apple ID, or the computer is not authorized. Music that has been ripped from CDs cannot be removed from the iTunes library by a sync either. I suggest you check where your library files are located. The music should still be there, probably in your Music folder, but that would depend on your iTunes settings.

May 27, 2015 4:54 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I checked my music folder and they are not there. I tried to use an old username & password to see if anything was there, but it won't recognize the password. I no longer have that email address so I can't have them reset the password as I cannot access the email they would send me.

Guess I'm just out of luck.

May 27, 2015 4:59 PM in response to jsargo

Were you using iTunes Match? If not, there is no way for iTunes to delete music from your computer. You have a backup of your computer? If so, then restore your music folder. If you open iTunes, where does it report where your music is supposed to be stored? You can take a look at this user hint regarding iTunes and Windows issues. Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

May 27, 2015 5:26 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I has been a few months since I did a sync. But, when I did, I would plug the iPod into my laptop. It would automatically go to iTunes, where I would see all of my music. I would it "sync" and it would sync to my iPod. This is the same thing I did today, but with very different results.

Regarding the old Apple user ID--I did see an old one come up at one time but it won't recognize my password. I'm wondering if that's where the rest of the music is hiding but I have no way of getting in there to see.

Thanks for all your help. I think I'm just out of luck here.

May 27, 2015 6:03 PM in response to jsargo

jsargo wrote:

It did ask if I wanted to add everything in the library and I said "yes".

I suspect that should have been a warning that your iTunes library wasn't the one the device normally syncs with, even if you were using the same computer. Too late now to recover the media from your device but if you have a backup of your computer or user profile that includes the <User's Music>\iTunes folder and you can restore it then that should work.

There are a number of things that can cause the library to be corrupted, but they would leave the media in place. For that to go too suggests something else has gone wrong. Have you created a new user account, or have you had a warning message about a corrupt user profile?

tt2

I synced my iPod and now all my music is gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.