Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos no corresponding previews

Hello everyone,

Sorry, but I don't speak english, I used google translate.

Imac 2009 8 gb ram Leopard OS Aperture3

Clone HDD external disk

SSD mounted in place of the SuperDrive, with clean install of LION and reinstallation cd the latest version of Aperture.

Having to move to Lightroom, in preparing the files for transfer, I became aware of a problem that I can not find solutions:

I open a project, I select a preview, I click to open the photo appears for one second the corresponding photo, then, finished loading, the picture I see is another, loaded in another project, stored in other folders, taken with other machine, on another date, etc ...

For example instead of preview of the pictures I took with my canon in Cambodia (lucky me!), Are open photos's Aperture examples (loaded to the installation of Aperture and taken with nikon years ago !!)

Sometimes, after opening the pictures, preview the changes, sometimes not.

The metadata, the keyword, stars, etc., are, however, incredibly, the correct ones that I had assigned to MINE pictures I see in the preview.

So I went to see the Aperture's preloaded projects, and if I click on any of the preview of prey, opens the MY photo, loaded me into another project.

The master is stored in external hdd, divided into folders and cataloged.

If I do the research for refereced file, it is produced amazing result:

miniature corresponds to correct a file path WRONG.

I tried in vain to rename the files, I tried in vain on the Internet, consulted an apple store genius bar (where I was advised to repair Aperture's permissions, repair the database, etc .. things I did without results) and I do not know how to get on ...

The result does not change ...

If there was anyone who could help me, I'd thank perpetually.

I hope I was clear enough.

THANK YOU !!!

Antonio

P.S. The problem is not related to the entire library, but every time I open the program, also NOT doing any changes, I see that the program generates preview, which he had done in his time, and the Aperture's closure, not having ever made any changes, tells me he's doing an update to the library, (?????) and each time the number of connections unpacked, INCREASES.

iMac, os Leopard and Lion

Posted on May 27, 2015 4:01 PM

9 replies

May 27, 2015 11:17 PM in response to antdido66

I open a project, I select a preview, I click to open the photo appears for one second the corresponding photo, then, finished loading, the picture I see is another, loaded in another project, stored in other folders, taken with other machine, on another date, etc ...

It is peculiar, that this problem is limited to some of your originals. Are these photos edited versions, perhaps externally edited?

Have you been running cleaning software, like cleanly mac 2? It is the only way I know, that edited versions can be linked to masters in the wrong folder.

And are the correct originals still in the project were they should be? Have you checked, if the correct original file is still in folder, where you expect it, or do the originals no longer exist? If you can find the originals in the correct folder, use the "File > Locate Referenced File" dialog to reconnect the problematic originals.

See this manual page http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter=5%26sec tion=16%26hash=apple_ref:doc:uid:Aperture-UserManual-91292BSR-1037600

Scroll to the paragraph: To reconnect an offline referenced image

May 28, 2015 1:56 PM in response to léonie

Hello Léonie,

the problem is on the pictures edited, and also on non-edited.

The originals are in the correct folder.

I had already tried it with the command "locate referenced files", but the result is that it shows the wrong path, and in the bottom window NOT allow me to point out the right path!

Even if I try to import them again, the program does NOT recognize as already present in the library.

I have not tested it with any cleaning software. I'll try.

All the other evidence, I think I have made them ...

THANK YOU

May 28, 2015 2:20 PM in response to antdido66

I have not tested it with any cleaning software. I'll try.

Don't try cleaning software. That is, what could be causing such a corruption.

The originals are in the correct folder.

Then reconnect them there.

I had already tried it with the command "locate referenced files", but the result is that it shows the wrong path, and in the bottom window NOT allow me to point out the right path!

Then try if moving the original to the folder, where Aperture expects it will. Can you reconnect it there?

Could here be any problem with your external drive? Is it correctly formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled) and locally mounted? Or is it a NAS? Is the "ignore Ownership on this volume" flag set? That would help to prevent permission issues.

May 29, 2015 12:23 AM in response to antdido66

However, why the problem occurs only with some pictures?

Because the file systems of your Mac and the NAS are different, and you are using in Aperture in an unsupported way. For some files the pathnames and folder names will work, for others it can break. When I tried to access Aperture folders on an unsupported file system, most of the long filenames or names with ethnic characters like "ä", "ö", "ß" caused broken links or even "error -36".

How could I solve?

Copy the originals, that you cannot reconnect on the NAS to a local folder on your Mac or to a locally mounted external drive, correctly formatted as described at this link: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Then try to reconnect them in the new location.

Once your library is working again, use "File > Relocate" and move all originals from the NAS to a locally mounted drive, to avoid similar problems in future.

See this link: Aperture: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library - Apple Support

This document refers to FAT32 volumes, but you may encounter similar issues with other file systems. Photos are too valuable to risk them on a NAS.

May 29, 2015 6:58 AM in response to léonie

Hello Léonie,

Thanks for your kindness and patience!

The names of the photos are all numbers.

I tried it with a project (with 7 photos) that worked well,

- I relocated the master with "relocate originals for project", moving the master of hdd formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled).

- I deleted from nas, folder with original files,

- Aperture, the command "locate reference file" not found files, so in the bottom window, I mentioned the new path and the program has found the photos.

- It all seemed ok, but after a few seconds, Aperture has again changed the reference file (2 of 7 pictures), going to focus on the image (WRONG) on NAS.

- For the photo "IMG_6557" project "home" whose original is located in 'hard drives lacie / photo / home /,

with "locate file reference", Aperture returns the path WRONG: "NAS / holidays / africa / sharm2005 / IMG_7475 /.

-for the photo "IMG_6555" Aperture returns "NAS / holidays / Asia / Cambodia / IMG_6459.

As you can see, the name and photo path are wrong !!!

Sorry to give you so much trouble, but I'm going crazy ...

Thanks again !!!

Antonio

May 29, 2015 7:55 AM in response to antdido66

Imac 2009 8 gb ram Leopard OS Aperture3

Clone HDD external disk

SSD mounted in place of the SuperDrive, with clean install of LION and reinstallation cd the latest version of Aperture.

Where is your Aperture library? On the SSD? Are you doing these testes with Aperture on Lion ?

Have you already run the Aperture Library First Aid tools to repair the database?

- It all seemed ok, but after a few seconds, Aperture has again changed the reference file (2 of 7 pictures), going to focus on the image (WRONG) on NAS.

This may be a library corruption or a problem with the drive, where your library is located.

Make sure, you have a current backup of all relevant drives.

And test, if the current problem is caused by your Aperture library or also happens in a new Aperture Library. Does the referenced images stay correctly connected in a new library with a few test images?

photos no corresponding previews

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.