Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I still need to store my files locally with iCloud drive? Can I link the iCloud drive to an external hard drive? I am space limited by my internal hdd.

Do I still need to store my files locally with iCloud drive? Can I link the iCloud drive to an external hard drive? I am space limited by my internal hdd.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 27, 2015 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 5:07 PM

Any file on the iCloud Drive also has a copy on your hard drive. It's not for off computer mass storage but for sharing working files between all devices signed into the same iCloud account. It's not a replacement for a local backup.

User uploaded file

3 replies

May 27, 2015 6:26 PM in response to Old Toad

I was most curious about my photo library which I store on an external. Photos has allowed me to use my external volume and the program said that it configured the pictures to be available via the cloud. Is the cloud just acting as an access point to the this drive now for my remote devices? My cloud storage did not lose any additional space when the program prepared the library.

I appreciate your earlier response! I was hoping that I'd be able to start using the cloud as separate storage more so then a workspace.

May 28, 2015 8:58 AM in response to ctennant1987

The iCloud Photo Library is entirely different from the iCloud Drive. It copies you photos up to the iCloud servers and makes it accessible to all devices which enable iCloud Photo Library and are signed in to the same iCloud account. If that other device is a mobile device you can choose to have optimized sized files on the device to save space.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.