Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Early 2013 - Right hand USB port not working, running really slow

Hi

Recently my right USB port stopped working after installing Yosemite. Then around a week ago everything seemed to be running REALLY slowly. I thought it was my internet at first, but that works just fine.

Could anyone advise me about this and give me some insight? The left USB port works fine, but I'm sick of webpages crashing (on both Safari and Chrome) and videos lagging up to the back 9's. It used to open 50+ tabs allowing me to breeze through everything, but now struggles with 5, and if I watch a video on quicktime the OS just s***s it'sself. Crashes galore.

I've run a quick system diagnostics check, and it's responded telling me everything is chill, and nothing is wrong with my macbook, when I know for a fact there's something wrong with it. It can barely scroll through barebones websites without wrecking itsself and coming to a complete stop sometimes.

I'd be very happy if someone could give me a hand with this, as I'm not willing to allow apple "genius" workers to look at it because they wouldn't know what an operating system is if it slapped them in the face. I've been into the shops, tried to show them, tried to speak to them, and there is no way I'm paying them to fix this. I'd happily crack it open and fix it myself, but I do know for a fact that this is a software based problem, and the hardware is impossible to get to anyway.

I also would like to apologise for coming across as an insulting lunatic. Life without laptops is hard.

Kind Regards

Chris

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 27, 2015 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply
4 replies

May 27, 2015 9:04 PM in response to Chriswaa

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

May 28, 2015 11:47 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the help;

I'll look into it but I've been into the "genius" flim flam before - they try to charge extortionate amounts and 90% of them don't understand it.

I'm pleased that my mac no longer wrecks itsself whenever I run simple programs taking up the bare minimum resources, it's mainly just a case of the USB port which I'm slightly displeased about.

Again, thanks for the help but I'll try to find my own way around the whole failed USB port.

Kind Regards

Chris

MBP Early 2013 - Right hand USB port not working, running really slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.