Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am using iMovie 10.0.6 and want to slow down the scrolling in the Far Far Away title. I have looked at previous answers from earlier versions but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

I am using iMovie 10.0.6 and want to slow down the scrolling in the Far Far Away title. I have looked at previous answers from earlier versions but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

Posted on May 28, 2015 12:58 AM

8 replies

May 28, 2015 10:55 AM in response to DEvans44

I was having the same trouble, and not just with Far, Far Away, but with many transitions and titles. Very obvious adjustments we'd like to make are not available. I have found a cumbersome workaround, perhaps someone else has a better one or perhaps Apple will wake up and make their app more "intuitive."

Apparently, iMovie 10.0.7, which I am using, only wants to allow "clips", meaning real video, to be manipulated. So I took the title out of iMovie into Quicktime and reimported it so it became a video clip.

Details:

From your event

Start a new movie, and pull a title you want into it (just the title will speed up your workflow - no other clips on this new movie)

Add text as needed

"Share" the little "Title" movie as a file to your desktop or someplace easy-call it title or something you'll remember-I actually set up a folder to use and put all these little things in there until I am done making the movie, just in case I need them again

Mine all come out at mp4. Don't know if that is universal.

Open Quicktime, navigate to your little "Title.mp4" and open it in Quicktime

You can trim it in Quicktime, but I don't

I then export "Title" to my same folder, it seems to always go out as a .mov file, again, don't know if that is universal. as a .mov file (since iMovie will not import the same thing it just exported, we know it is a complicated thing computer-wise, but it would certainly be a boon for the user-go figure)

Import the "Title.mov" file to your event in iMovie

Drag it where you want the title

You can then slow it down or whatever, and trim off the end, making some kind of transition if you'd like to the next clip.

I'd really like to be able to do some more modification at that point, and the downside is you cannot modify the titles after the share from iMovie, but if you do each title separately, it doesn't take long to redo it if you don't like it. Not perfect, but it worked for my purposes. Hope it helps.

It is the dumbest thing, and we should not have to do it, but I am not a professional and making only occasional movies, and had hoped iMovie would be easy. No such luck.

May 28, 2015 11:25 AM in response to VirginiaSRH

Your procedure allows one to cut off part of the animation (Useful at the end of a movie where you for example want the words "The End" to remain on the screen rather than scrolled off.) Speed of the animation depends on duration of title as I explained above so that it is simple to slow down or speed up.

iMovie is 'easy' because the number of possibilities is limited. In Final Cut Pro for example you can do much more but it is by necessity more complicated to use. 😉

Geoff.

May 28, 2015 3:25 PM in response to GeeD

I said there are other answers, and obviously Final Cut Pro is one, but it is a pretty expensive one for an occasional user. I am not disagreeing that speed is tied to duration, I am saying that the automatic speed/duration relationship is unreasonable in iMovie. Slowing down Far Far Away to reading speed in a 9 line, 24 word introductory sentence made the title slide/clip 25 seconds long, the last 15 seconds of which was disappearing words. It's hard to believe anyone wants an opening title to have almost 15 seconds of practically blank screen! The "easy" and limited solutions really should be the most obviously needed and requested ones, and quite often that is not the case in iMovie. Just trying to give an option that worked for me.

May 28, 2015 3:42 PM in response to VirginiaSRH

Agreed about FCP.

"It's hard to believe anyone wants an opening title to have almost 15 seconds of practically blank screen!"

If you apply the far far away title on top of a (black) background clip plus part of the first clip with real movie content the disappearing words can be on top of start of 'the real movie'

Geoff.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.