Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer iphoto library from one mac to another

Hi,

I have an old imac that I would like to transfer all of the photos/library from iphoto to a newer mac which has the Photo app.

What is the best way to do this?

Posted on May 28, 2015 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 2:26 AM

To move an iPhoto Library to a new machine:

Link the two Macs together: there are several ways to do this: Wireless Network,Firewire Target Disk Mode, Ethernet, or even just copy the Library to an external HD and then on to the new machine...

But however you do choose to link the two machines...

Simply copy the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder on the old Machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine.

Then launch iPhoto. That's it.

This moves photos, events, albums, books, keywords, slideshows and everything else.

Then open the Library with Photos:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2015 2:26 AM in response to blueboy669

To move an iPhoto Library to a new machine:

Link the two Macs together: there are several ways to do this: Wireless Network,Firewire Target Disk Mode, Ethernet, or even just copy the Library to an external HD and then on to the new machine...

But however you do choose to link the two machines...

Simply copy the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder on the old Machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine.

Then launch iPhoto. That's it.

This moves photos, events, albums, books, keywords, slideshows and everything else.

Then open the Library with Photos:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

May 29, 2015 8:51 PM in response to Yer_Man

If I go to the finder, click on the photos folder on the left side. Copy the entirety of the folder via ctrl c and then paste to external drive. That will keep all the events, albums etc?

Then I can connect that external drive to the new Mac and paste the contents of the photo folder from the external drive to the new photo folder on the new Mac?

May 30, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Yer_Man

You gave me similar advice for moving my IPhoto to EHD so that I can free up space on my MAC. You said to Quit IPhoto then copy the IPhoto Library from my pictures library to the EXD. I guess I am not computer savvy enough, but I'm not sure how to do this. Can you give me the steps a little more simplified, i.e.. where do I find the pictures library and once I find that. how is the best way to copy it to the EHD. The guy at the Apple store said there was a way to still click on the IPhoto icon on the MAC to the to the EHD that would be like working directly on the MAC, but actually it would be going to the EHD.

May 30, 2015 8:46 PM in response to LArlington

The EHD must be formatted Mac OS extended (journaled)

the best and safest way to transfer the library is to drag it to the EHD - then drag it to the pictures folder of the new computer

What part of this are you having trouble with? It is about as basic as possible - verify the format of the drive and drag the library to it

LN

May 30, 2015 9:30 PM in response to LarryHN

You can always select the pictures folder, click edit and select all. then edit and copy.

Select the external drive you wish to transfer to and then click edit and paste.

It will do the same operation as dragging the pictures folder into the external hard drive.

Thanks to Terrance I have successfully transferred my iphoto library onto the new iMac now.

I had to use the iphoto library updater in between but that was easy.

Transfer iphoto library from one mac to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.