Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule setup without hooking it up via an ethernet cable.

I have thought about getting a Time Capsule with the hope of including it on my network for backup purposes. But as I read about it in the pdf instructions, it seems indicate that Time Capsule must be plugged into your router via an ethernet cable in order to work. This seems rather redundant since my router is perfectly capable of wi-fi. I was under the impression that Time Capsule could, much like a laptop or computer, access the network wirelessly. Is this possible?

Posted on May 27, 2015 10:48 PM

1 reply

May 28, 2015 4:02 AM in response to jnguil10

The Time Capsule can access the network wirelessly.....IF.....there is another Apple wireless router producing the network to be accessed.

But, the Time Capsule will not be able to be setup to a network produced by a third party router. In that case, the Time Capsule must be configured to connect to the router using a permanent, fixed Ethernet cable connection.

Time Capsule setup without hooking it up via an ethernet cable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.