Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slower transcoding in FCPX on MacPro than MBP. Does it actually use the GPUs?

My 32Gb six-core, Dual AMD Firepro MacPro transcodes 4K video considerably slower (approximately 2-3 times slower) than my MacBook Pro with 16 Gb Ram. Reinstalling Yosemite and FCPX has made no difference. On MacPro, the CPU cores are fully loaded, whereas on MBP they are not. My suspicion is that the MacPro doesn't use the GPU for transcoding, but there is no way to verify it (at my level) and I didn't get any more in for from the Apple tech support.

The same problem affects Compressor.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any solutions?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 28, 2015 1:31 AM

9 replies

May 28, 2015 1:41 AM in response to LI- London

What versions of FCP X and Compressor? And what are you transcoding to? H264? I think I heard about this and it may be due to what hardware support is there for different GPUs.

Also, I believe that only Compressor 4.2 makes use of the GPU when transcoding, making it much faster than previous versions.

Steve Martin of Ripple Training has said that he reversed his views about sharing in FCP X through Compressor since the new version came out, since it is much faster.

May 28, 2015 5:22 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for following this up. They have the same versions, 4.2 for Compressor, 10.2.1 FCPX, and the behaviour is similar for FCPX and Compressor. The Mac Pro is one of the earliest from the new design.

I was exporting to H264 in 4K from XAVCs source and editing without effects in FCPX. Same for a backup compressed copy of a library without editing. I am a surgeon, so older operations I don't need to keep for future editing but I like to keep for a while for medico-legal documentation.

The strange thing is that the MBP looks definitely nimble by comparison. It has an nVidia GeForce GT 750M. I have tried to select speed over quality on the MacPro FCPX preferences but with no benefits.

I get the distinct impression that the only GPUs that work with FCPx and Compressor are from the nVidia bunch (hence CUDA implementation rather than OpenCL), and that the software doesn't actually work for AMD GPUs. Unless there is an isolated problem with my system, but the hardware tests don't pick up anything unusual and I have tried clean reinstall for OS X and FCPX / Compressor.

Is there any way to test whether the software actually uses the GPU?

May 28, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Right, if I want to deliver my project to something other than Blu-ray, Vimeo, YouTube, it will be faster on the Mac Pro. Unfortunately, that's all I export to. I guess a DVD would be faster? Handbrake does me no good because I'd have to export out of FCP X as ProRes first, then encode. What's the point of that?

The Microsoft comparison is unfair? I completely disagree. I've been using Apple since 1987. The quality control has gone down the tubes the last 5 years and there have been several HIGHLY PUBLICIZED embarrassments for the company that I have suffered through, including FCP X 10.0. Apple Maps? lol iPhone 4 couldn't make calls. My wife still has one and it's a huge step back from the 3GS we have. Heck, my iPhone 5 has the famous broken lock button. Apple FINALLY admitted there was an issue and they will fix it for free out of warranty, but they will need it for 10 days. And it holds calls well if you aren't holding the metal phone with antennas on the outside with your hand.

Apple's latest Safari won't even allow me to delete my history without delete all the rest of the data and cookies with a simple menu option. I now have to do it manually, selecting the history and pressing the delete key. Step backward.

Apple takes a step forward, then takes a step back. The latest FCP X now requires I take more time to apply the same color grading to multiple clips, because it's an effect now. If you just paste it to multiple clips, you end up with 2 color grading effects. The version before would replace the color you had with what you pasted. So I know have to select the multiple clips, delete the existing color grade, I mean effect, and then paste. Step backwards.

I could go on and on. They are just too big to create products that "just work" anymore, in my opinion. It used to be that an Apple product was the highest quality. No anymore.

The $1,699 iMac with 3.1 GHz quad core i7 Intel and the nVidia graphics is faster than the $8K Mac Pro in After Effects (Mercury uses nVidia not OpenCL in AE) and Final Cut Pro X encoding Blu-ray, YouTube, Vimeo.

Wow.

Slower transcoding in FCPX on MacPro than MBP. Does it actually use the GPUs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.