Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro App Store login problem

Hi,

I have early 2008 Mac Pro, and it has problem when login to App Store - it gives error message 'Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.'

Otherwise internet connection is working, iTunes store is working - I can log into that, but not into App store.

Internet is working through third party - Sonnet - ethernet card, native ethernet ports are dead presumably, they will not show up under Network. Internet is working fine.

I have deleted the 'Networkinterfaces.plist' a numerous times, no success.

Any ideas, please!

I've thought myself that perhaps Apple uses native ethernet ports to identify the App store clients, when client has a computer that has ethernet ports. So when they are "dead", how can i go around that? Changeing Mac address?

BR

Indrek

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 28, 2015 1:41 AM

13 replies

May 28, 2015 8:31 AM in response to minaindrek

Back up all data before proceeding.

Step 1

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and test.

If there's no change, repeat with this file:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Log out, log back in, and test. If there's no improvement, continue.

Step 2

Reset your computer’s PRAM.

May 29, 2015 12:15 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

I tried all that but no luck - "Your device could not be verified...".

One thing that I tried yesterday - I installed OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard, and applied updates one by one. After 10.6.6 update, when App store was introduced, it was working! I was able to log into App store. It was working also after update 10.6.7.

But update 10.6.8 changed something and I was not able to login - "Your device could not be verified..."

If we could know what was changed, then we might find a key how to bypass this error...

BR

Indrek

May 29, 2015 6:32 AM in response to Linc Davis

No, I have not. I bought this Mac Pro with ethernet cards dead already, and it never worked in Maverics (or Mountain Lion or Yosemite). Yesterday with OSX 10.6.6 it was first time to log in to App store with this mac. And there was no difference in using Sonnet PCIe ethernet card or Airport wifi.

Unfortunately 10.6 is basically obsolete.

I can try this supplemental update but my point was elsewhere - it is working in OSX 10.6.6 and not working in 10.9.5. Maverics is still my main os.

BR

May 29, 2015 6:38 AM in response to minaindrek

What I think is happening is that, starting with 10.6.8, Apple has been using the MAC address of the client to block attempts to run OS X on non-Apple hardware. Since you don't have an Apple MAC address, you're blocked. The only hope is to change the MAC of the card to spoof an Apple MAC. Some cards would allow that, but I don't know whether yours does. You would use the MAC of one of the built-in interfaces.

Mac Pro App Store login problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.