Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer is detected, but I can't find the malware!

My macbook pro has been suffering from popups in chrome for awhile now. Some of them are the sort that you can't exit out of, some of them are. The most recent one was "knowtechs.info". I've run multiple scans and nothing has been found. This is driving me crazy and really worrying me. What is my computer infected with and how can I remove it? Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:46 PM

2 replies

May 28, 2015 3:10 AM in response to afternoonofthefaun

1. Use free AdwareMedic to remove adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit AdwareMedic.

or

Remove the adware manually by following the “HowTo” from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

2. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn those off and relaunch Safari.

Turn those on one by one and test.

3. Safari > Preferences > Search > Search Engine :

Select your preferred search engine.

4. Safari > Preferences > General > Homepage:

Set your Homepage.

May 28, 2015 8:06 AM in response to afternoonofthefaun

Since you're using Chrome, doing anything with Safari is obviously not going to help. There's no need to download any unknown software, either.

It's probably a Web scam that only affects your browser, and only temporarily. There are several ways to recover.

1. Some of those scam pages can be dismissed very easily. Press the key combination command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

2. Press and hold command-W. You may hear repeating alert sounds. While holding the keys, click the OK button in the popup. A different popup may appear, which you can cancel out of as usual.

3. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. Leave the preferences dialog open.

Close the malicious window or tab.

Re-enable JavaScript and close the preferences dialog.

4. If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, quit Safari. Force quit if necessary. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock. None of the windows and tabs will reopen.

After closing the malicious page, from the menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

My computer is detected, but I can't find the malware!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.