Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening IPhoto in Time Machine

Many pictures disappeared from my IPhoto Library !

I opened Time Machine at a time BackUp where these photos existed !

But impossible to open I Photo in this back up !

Is it possible to open ?

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:59 PM

You cannot open an iPhoto Library directly on the Time Machine volume. Restore the iPhoto Library from the Time Machine drive to your Pictures folder. Then open the restored library. Be careful not to overwrite your existing iPhoto Library when restoring the library from Time Machine. Export all newer photos to a folder, if your current library has photos that are not in your backup.

See: this link iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2015 11:59 PM in response to HENRI HAZOUT

You cannot open an iPhoto Library directly on the Time Machine volume. Restore the iPhoto Library from the Time Machine drive to your Pictures folder. Then open the restored library. Be careful not to overwrite your existing iPhoto Library when restoring the library from Time Machine. Export all newer photos to a folder, if your current library has photos that are not in your backup.

See: this link iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

Jun 2, 2015 2:42 AM in response to léonie

Thanks a lot for your answer Léonie !

Aren't we supposed to receive a mail when some one answers ???

I just opened The support site and found your answer today !

Concerning I Photos and Restoration from Time Machine volume !!!

Last time I tried to restore, it seemed that this action resulted in duplicating once more all the folder of pictures in my computer !

Having 167 GO of pictures, it's not only frightening, and unecessary , but also I do not have enough space !!

Jun 2, 2015 3:21 AM in response to HENRI HAZOUT

Thanks a lot for your answer Léonie !

Aren't we supposed to receive a mail when some one answers ???

I just opened The support site and found your answer today !

You're welcome, Henri 🙂

Yes, you should be receiving email notifications of the answers. You may want to check your preferences settings. Click your avatar and then use the link "edit preferences" in the actions section of the page.

User uploaded file

Set "Email notifications for content I am following" to on.

Concerning I Photos and Restoration from Time Machine volume !!!

Last time I tried to restore, it seemed that this action resulted in duplicating once more all the folder of pictures in

Then restore the iPhoto Library to an external drive. It is the only way that iPhoto can browse the library.

Opening IPhoto in Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.