Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change my Apple ID

I have got into a dreadful muddle with my Apple ID. I created a second account on my Mac and used the same email address — a gmail one — as my ID on this new account as on my main account. When I went back to my main account, nothing seemed to work as far as my Apple ID, password and rescue address were concerned, so I changed my ID to my btinternet address. I have a third, college staff, email address, so I changed my rescue address to this one (which I have never used before in this context).

Because btinternet mail is so unreliable, I now wanted to change my ID and primary address back to my gmail one, but I received an error message saying that that address (ID) already exists. So I deleted the second account I had created. But the error message still persists and I cannot change my Apple ID to be the email address I regularly use now, i.e . the gmail one.

1. How can I restore my primary email address and Apple ID to my original gmail one?

2. If I now recreate my second Mac account, what should I do about an Apple ID on that account?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iPhone 3G

Posted on May 28, 2015 3:02 AM

4 replies

May 28, 2015 11:24 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks, Eric, but I looked at that before posting here. The links are all, as far as I can see, for reminding oneself of forgotten ID details and password. What I need to do is, either, to get rid of anything stored somewhere that contains my proper email address (such as the ID I created when I created an alternative Mac account, now removed) so that I can use my proper email address in my new Apple ID, or — preferably — to reinstate the whole of my old Apple ID containing the right email address, so that I can once more receive updates to apps. downloaded from thebApp Store.

Cannot change my Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.