Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to manually add songs in iTunes 12

Hi,

I've been having some serious problems with itunes ever since it was updated to version 12 (I think - it was when the logo changed to pink).

Since then, I've been unable to add any songs the way I normally would.

As a bit of background, I've had ipods and/or iphones since around 2004 and in that time I have never had any of them set to sync automatically.

I've never had a problem manually adding songs in previous versions of itunes. However, since I updated my ipod to IOS 7 and it forced me to update itunes, it has completely wiped all of my songs from my device 5 times, despite the fact that I have automatic syncing disabled and it is set to warn me if more than 5% of my data will be changed. It has got to the stage where I've just stopped connecting my ipod to my laptop and basically stopped using it altogether.

I also have a 120GB iphone 6 (currently iOS 8.1.2), which also has automatic syncing disabled. This was also wiped once, but the main problem is when I try to manually add individual songs to the iphone. Occasionally it works, but usually it just shows up greyed out and gets stuck on "preparing to sync". At one point I left it connected overnight trying to add one song, so it's not a timing issue.

I should mention, on the occasions when my devices were wiped, the songs were available in itunes, so it wasn't a case that my local PC library was empty.

Not that it should have synced anyway.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, or does anyone know what I could try to fix it?

Thanks,

Johnny

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2, 120GB 40GB+ Free space

Posted on May 28, 2015 3:12 AM

3 replies

May 28, 2015 7:24 AM in response to johnnycallaghan

For reasons unknown Apple have chosen to limit iPhones so that content can only be managed from a single library, even when manual management is selected. I don't know why, but occasionally the device can dump its library, or a transfer can be interrupted leaving a bunch of items that appear to have been copied, but don't play. My personal opinion is that syncing with selected playlists gives far more control and stability than manual management, and it makes it much easier to restore the device should something odd happen, like the content being wiped or held in some inconsistent state. The easiest way to resolve the partial syncing issue is to backup the device, restore as a new device, then restore the backup made earlier. For a manually managed device this may mean that you have to reselect the content you want on the device, whereas syncing with selected playlists would put on your previous selections automatically.

Your library needs backing up and migrating properly when you move computers so that you always have the same library to manage the devices with.

tt2

Unable to manually add songs in iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.