Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsupported formulas

I open a Excel file with numbers and I have that message: "Unsupported formulas were replaced by the last calculated value". Is there an easy way to see which cells are affected? a way to find where is the problem to solve it.

I have different files with a lot of formulas in each one.

Thank you

Posted on May 28, 2015 2:53 AM

10 replies

May 28, 2015 6:53 AM in response to NarcisMG

I dont know of 1) any way to identify the offending cells nor 2) a list of formulas that are not supported.

however, I do know that Array Formulas are not supported (the ones you enter by pressing CTRL-Shift-Enter together) nor are pivot tables. These all will be converted into values. There are many statistical functions that are not supported. and anything you had to load an add-in for would not be.

Hope this gives you a starting point to determine what you are missing.

Jason

May 28, 2015 10:38 AM in response to NarcisMG

You could run a script to quickly identify cells that contain formulas (so you can spot the ones that should have formulas but don't).

This one below turns the text in the cells with formulas red.

1. Copy-paste into Script Editor (in Applications > Utilities)
  2. Click anywhere in the document
  3. Click the triangle 'Run' button.

SG

tell application "Numbers"

tell document 1

repeat with s in sheets

repeat with t in s's tables

repeat with c in t's cells

if c's formula is not missing value then

set c's text color to "red"

end if

end repeat

end repeat

end repeat

end tell

end tell

May 28, 2015 4:11 PM in response to SGIII

Hi SG,

That is neat. I would prefer to make the background color a nice yellow though.

tell application "Numbers"

tell document 1

repeat with s in sheets

repeat with t in s's tables

repeat with c in t's cells

if c's formula is not missing value then

set c's background color to {65535, 65535, 0}

end if

end repeat

end repeat

end repeat

end tell

end tell

quinn

ps how do I get free of this indent?

May 28, 2015 6:20 PM in response to t quinn

Thanks quinn. I've been trying to figure out a way, after reconstructing formulas that didn't import from Excel, to have a script set background color back to the way it was, in my case usually transparent (i.e. no background). But in AppleScript a cell with no background has a background color of missing value and as far as I can tell you can't set background color to missing value.

SG

May 29, 2015 3:00 AM in response to NarcisMG

NarcisMG wrote:

Thank you. How do I tell where is my document? for instance the document is called 1.xls and is in my Desktop

The telldocument 1 simply means to address the frontmost open document. So with your document open, just follow the three steps in the post upthread. It doesn't matter to the script where you save it. It just needs to be open, and you need to have clicked somewhere in it to bring it to the "front".

SG

May 29, 2015 3:31 AM in response to NarcisMG

After trying all the solutions explained in this page and others without success I could find a very simple solution. I could access to a computer with excel and could compare the documents and then I found that with numbers the cells with the unsupported formulas have a small blue triangle in top left corner. If I click there I can see the original formula and make the correction

Unsupported formulas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.