Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting pdf to iBooks to iphone

I'm often offered useful pdf's online that I want to read later, on a mobile device. What looks like a download nowadays often simply opens in Preview. What's the shortest path to get that to my iphone or ipad to read later? It doesn't appear there's an iOS version of Preview, for example. iBooks, if it synced across devices would be fine.

Thanks. From what I gather, this is not easy, and includes syncing pdf's via iTunes. Happy to learn if there's a more straight forward way to get mobile pdf's from my Mac in Safari.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 28, 2015 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2015 6:49 AM

1. After it opens in Preview, save it to a folder on your Mac then add it to iBooks then sync the PDFs to your iPhone and/or iPad via iTunes.
  2. After it opens in Preview, use the Share icon (box with an arrow pointing up) to email or message it to yourself. From there you can add it to iBooks on the device.
13 replies

May 28, 2015 12:16 PM in response to Raicya

Raicya wrote:

After downloading the pdf file, right click on it and then Open withiBooks.app on the Mac.

Start the iDevice on and tap on iBooks, you can read now in iBooks.

It works here on my iPad.

You have to sync via iTunes first. iBooks only syncs collections via iCloud not the actual content unless it was purchased from the iBooks Store.

Use iBooks with PDF documents on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

May 28, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Raicya

Raicya wrote:

My way is shorter.

I didn't use iTunes and didn't sync with iCloud, I don't use iCloud yet.

Just did what I write in my post.

Last week I downloaded AirPort Extreme manual, right click on it (on the Mac) open with ☞ iBooks.app.

Then start my iPad, and I can read the AirPort Extreme manual from my iPad.

User uploaded file

Exactly! You downloaded it from the iBooks Store. All iTunes, iBooks and App Store purchases are available on on devices as soon as you buy/download it.

You don't actually need to open them in iBooks on the mac first.

These are PDF files from outside the store. They need to be emailed, messaged or added to iBooks and synced via iTunes.

May 28, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Raicya

Raicya wrote:

I am sorry, I didn't downloaded from the iBooks Store,

Downloaded from Internet: ☞ https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA436/nl_NL/AirPort_Extreme-installatie handleiding.pdf

User uploaded file

I guess it works differently for you than everyone else. I just dowloaded the same document (directly from your link) and followed your instructions.

As expected...it did not work.

How exactly do you think the PDF magically jumped from iBooks on your Mac to iBooks on your iPad without it being synced either via iCloud or iTunes?

Just curious how you think that works.

May 28, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Axeman1020

I am sorry I made a type error in my earlier post 😉

I didn't use iTunes and didn't sync with iCloud, I don't use iCloud yet.

So the right steps are:

After downloading the pdf file, right click on it and open with iBooks.app on the Mac.

Sync with iTunes.

Start the iDevice on and tap on iBooks, you can read now in iBooks.

Also non Apple-books downloaded from internet I can read on my iPad. Just add SharePoint 2013 For Dummies.

User uploaded file

Getting pdf to iBooks to iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.