Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not a single folder action is triggered

Hello Community!

Ok, so this has been bothering me for a while now: I cannot get folder actions to work. No matter whether I create one myself or try to use the scripts provided by the system (e.g. add alert). They won't ever trigger. They never did. A complete OS X reinstallation did not work.

It's probably something really stupid but I cannot figure it out. I followed all provided tutorials on the matter. It does not work and it drives me crazy.

What my intention is:

- I'd like to sync two folders using rsync

- Whenever one of the folders (or a subfolder) is modified

- (optional) backup to a USB device as soon as it's inserted

What I tried:

Writing a shell script which I then attach to a folder action. As soon as the folder content is modified the script is intended to do the syncing for me. That way I could also monitor my /Volumes to see if a certain device is mounted.

The script works fine. I can also trigger the process manually in the automator app and it will do everything I intended it to. It just won't trigger by itself.

- Folder actions are enabled

- Repairing permissions doesn't solve the problem

- No matter which folder I attach the action to, it won't trigger

- No matter which script I use (even System-provided) it won't trigger

- System update didn't solve the problem

- Complete System reinstallation did not solve the problem

What I am currently running:

OSX 10.10.3 on a MBP late 2008

I hope to have provided enough information for you to grasp the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 28, 2015 2:57 AM

There are no replies.

Not a single folder action is triggered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.